Coconut and Mango Sago

January 21, 2013

Stud and I aren’t massive beach people. We’re both pretty pale, aren’t a fan of screaming people, I have a bit of a sand phobia, and Kev has seen one too many Jaws films to want to go in to the ocean too often.

Dont get me wrong, I used to LOVE the beach! Spending many a childhood weekends down the south coast in Gerringong, with my entire family squeezed in to a caravan and hanging out at the beach pretty much every day.

I love swimming in the ocean, I just don’t like getting burnt or getting sand in my shoes, or anywhere for that matter (no really, the sand thing is pretty bad. Its embarrassing really).

I do however, love a good tropical dessert! It might be a dessert with tropical ingredients – gorgeous fruits, creamy coconuts, refreshing ices – or it might be something wonderfully light to end a large meal. Just something that transports you to a beautifully tropical setting, and you can forget all your troubles.

For me, its a little from column a, and a little from column b. Oh AND its easy :) woot!

Three ingredients that makes you feel like you have eaten dessert, a great sweetness to finish your meal, but also so light and not tooth achingly sweet. Just right ;)

So welcome to my new readers, and if you’re wondering why I am going on about tropical desserts, its because this months blog hop is Tropical Paradise! To our lovely loyal followers, welcome once again to January, over a year now and we’re still going strong :D

This months hop is hosted by moi! And as always is brought to you by 84th & 3rd, The Hungry Australian and The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader. The lovely Le Delicieux has resigned as hostess, but we wish her nothing but forever deliciousness, and thank her for being a part of the SABH crew :) x

Coconut and Mango Sago

Coconut and Mango Sago

100g tapioca pearls
1 ripe mango, diced flesh
1 x small can coconut cream

Fill a saucepan with water, cover place on high and heat until boiling. Add tapioca and boil according to packet instructions (mine were large so took around 40mins), keeping the lid on.

Remove pearls from the stove and drain. Rinse with cold water and place in a serving dish.

Drizzle over a few tablespoons of coconut cream per serve and top with mango.

Place in the fridge until serving.

Coconut and Mango Sago

Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Tropical Paradise

SABH_13-01_Tropical-300

The SABH is brought to you by 84th & 3rdThe Hungry AustralianThe Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and moi, Dining With a Stud. This blog hop is open to all food bloggers.

IMPORTANT - Please read the instructions below, they explain how to link up and how to get the hop to appear on your post. If you aren’t sure of something leave a comment or send me an email at nic@diningwithastud.com and I will help where I can.

1. Click here for the Link Code – Grab the code and add it to the bottom of your Tropical Paradise post, you will need to do this in HTML view.
    * Adding the code will create the thumbnail link list on your post so people can hop from one entry to the next!
    * REMEMBER – if you are on wordpress.com [not self hosted] the list will not show on your blog, please create a text link back to this post so others can hop through the entries!
  2. Grab the SABH Tropical Paradise badge and add it to your post – you can get it at the top of this post or from the Announcement page.
    * Just right click on the image, ‘save as’, upload to your site and add it to your  Tropical Paradise post.
    * Link the badge or a line of text to the hostess post [that's this page here] so that others can view the instructions on how to join.
  3. Click here to Enter the Hop – This is the really important bit! The badge and thumbnail list are on your post, make sure to enter the hop so you appear in the list.
    * On the entry screen, please add the link to your Tropical Paradise [not your homepage].
    * When asked for ‘your name’ please enter your blog name, not your name.
    * When asked for a back link, link to this post.
    * Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.

PLEASE NOTE – your linked post WILL NOT appear straight away in the blog hop thumbnail list. To combat spam this is a moderated hop. Your post will be visible in the list after approved. Entries are approved in the order they are submitted during waking hours in Sydney. A girl needs to get her beauty sleep.

If you are on Twitter use the #SABH to tell the world about your Tropical Paradise post and follow us @SweetAdvBlogHop for new hop announcement and general deliciousness. Happy Hopping!

48 Responses to Coconut and Mango Sago

1. [...] months hop is hosted by Nic from Dining with a Stud so head on over later this week to find out a little more later this [...]

2. Michelle Elliott (@mschefkitchen) on January 21, 2013 at 8:17 am

I had tapioca as a kid but have never tried it myself. Your recipe looks so good I’m inspired to taste it!!

3. [...] ~~~ This post is part of the January Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Tropical Paradise – hosted by Nic of Dining with a Stud. [...]

4. Pineapple and Coconut Cupcakes « Love Swah on January 21, 2013 at 8:19 am

[...] month’s theme for SABH is Tropical Paradise and I instantly wanted to recreate some highlights from my Vietnam holiday [...]

5. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on January 21, 2013 at 8:44 am

Looove this! Definitely putting it on my to-do list. Can’t wait to see what everyone comes up with as well this SABH :D

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme on January 21, 2013 at 9:06 am

I absolutely adore the mango and coconut flavour – it reminds me of the dessert at Chat Thai. Love the look of this and I can’t believe it’s that easy :)

7. JJ - 84thand3rd on January 21, 2013 at 9:10 am

Simple – love it! I have a bag of tapioca pearls sitting in my pantry, I think I may need to make sago ;) Thanks for hosting, love the theme this month. xx

8. Ai-Ling@blueapocalypse on January 21, 2013 at 10:14 am

Your reasons for not being a beach person are similar to mine. I don’t like getting burnt or sand everywhere either :)

Love that mangoes are in season at the moment, so many great desserts to make with it. I like the simplicity of your dessert.

9. Raw Tropical Cheesecake from Food by Gastromony on January 21, 2013 at 2:12 pm

[...] month’s hop is hosted by the lovely Nic from Dining With a Stud and it’s appropriately themed ‘Tropical Paradise’ to celebrate our glorious [...]

10. tania@mykitchenstories.com.au on January 21, 2013 at 5:14 pm

Hi Nic, I love your tropical sago puddings. I love that combo of coconut and sago. Also , Nic I cant find your email anywhere but I have a problem linking up. I did last month too. Can you check my Link? http://mykitchenstories.com.au and email me?

11. Melon Ice Blocks on January 21, 2013 at 8:02 pm

[...] Thanks to Dining with a Stud for hosting the Tropical fruit dessert blog hop. [...]

12. Baking Myself Happy on January 21, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Anything with coconut and mango is a winner for me! They are the most perfect combination. Thanks for hosting this month!

13. Choc Chip Uru on January 21, 2013 at 8:28 pm

I’m inspired to try this summery treat :)

14. Winston on January 21, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Love that little story at the start of how you used to spend your Summer with your family in a caravan by the beach. It’s funny how simple times like that make for the best memory! I love ANY sago desserts (cuz I’m azn, can’t help it heh) and topped with mangoes? HUBBA HUBBA

15. Hotly Spiced on January 21, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I love the beach but I try not to be there in the middle of the day. What a great looking dessert and I love how you styled it – the individual glasses are gorgeous xx

16. Stephanie @ Girl Versus Dough on January 21, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Three ingredients to make this magic?? I’ve got to make this. YUM!

17. Vivian - vxdollface on January 22, 2013 at 8:51 am

I love easy yummy tropical desserts :D and the beach hehe

18. Hannah on January 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Ha! Me too. The beach is just too much hassle what with the sand and the wet and the clinging and the showers and the BURNING OH GOD WITHIN MINUTES THE BURNING. Give me dessert instead any day.

19. [...] month, Nic from Dining with a Stud was our lovely host and she opted for a tropical theme. You can check out her post on how to join [...]

20. penny aka jeroxie on January 22, 2013 at 8:35 pm

most things with mango is amazing! LOVE

21. K-bobo @ Gormandize with A-dizzle & K-bobo on January 23, 2013 at 8:40 am

I’m not a beach person either! Sand everywhere and sunburn aren’t my idea of a great day out. I am a sago person though! This looks lovely, I love how sago makes such a quick and easy dessert!

22. Christina @ The Hungry Australian on January 23, 2013 at 9:06 am

I love mango with sago – it’s one of my faves! Thanks for hosting, Nic :)

23. Sara (Belly Rumbles) on January 23, 2013 at 7:26 pm

Such great flavours and just so summery!

24. [...] post is part of the Sweet Australian Blog Hop, head over to Nic’s blog Dining with a Stud to see all the other delicious Tropical Paradise [...]

25. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on January 24, 2013 at 7:38 am

Oh yum! This sends me back to my holiday. I can’t get enough coconut at the moment. Love an easy tasy dessert.

26. Monica on January 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Thanks for a fun theme for this hop! I love your coconut sago. I wonder how sago would be soaked. Grrr raw food diet!

27. InTolerant Chef on January 24, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I just love tapioca desserts, and mango is so great with it to- yummo!

28. Moya on January 24, 2013 at 4:42 pm

Love the tropical theme Nic and coconut is always a winner! Mango is such a delicious fruit but as much as I like it… it seems not to like me! Sand in shoes is such a horrible feeling but I do like the beach! :)

29. Joanne on January 24, 2013 at 10:51 pm

I’m not the biggest beach lover either, but tropical desserts are a whole other story! This sounds delicious!

30. Mango Passionfruit Pavlova | The Culinary Library on January 25, 2013 at 11:59 am

[...] be useful for those wanting to make a traditional Australia Day dessert. This post is a part of the January Sweet Adventures Tropical Paradise Blog Hop so check out other bloggers recipes at the end of the [...]

31. Peta on January 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Thanks for a great challenge. I’ll be making your sago soon, haven’t had sago for ages and I do love it.

32. [...] SABH, is hosted by Dining With a Stud. For more information on the hop and to join, please visit her page here. And don’t forget to check out the delicious recipes below from the rest of the [...]

33. Prue @ The Culinary Library on January 27, 2013 at 7:53 am

Hey Nic, My recipe isn’t showing up… set up the link on Friday, could you check that I have entered it all correctly for me and let me know if you need me to do anything else? Thanks! Prue

34. Amy Tong on January 27, 2013 at 2:52 pm

This is one of my favorite dessert! I grew up eating this wonderful sweet treat! Hehe…I love the beach too, but try to avoid getting too tan if I could. I rather have pale skin but oh well…guess this is life, we don’t always get what we wanted! At least, I know I can always make this Coconut and Mango Sago whenever I want.

35. john@heneedsfood on January 27, 2013 at 4:34 pm

I have to agree about the beach thing. I can’t stand too much sun and the sand is a nightmare. Give me a pool any day! I’m imagining myself sitting by the pool, in a tropical country, with this sago dessert in hand!

36. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 27, 2013 at 7:37 pm

Delicious dessert Nic! And I’m glad I’m not the only one with a sand phobia-I have one too. Well perhaps not a phobia but a dislike of the grains that tend to get everywhere and stick! :P

37. Nami | Just One Cookbook on January 28, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I’m more of woods or mountain people…while my husband is a beach guy (so as my kids). I don’t like swimming in the ocean (too much hassle when it’s wet and sands all over body)…but I like tropical fruits too! :D All I need is good mango to make this as I have other ingredients at home. I can’t wait till mango season comes!! This is delicious dessert that I can eat a lot…

38. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy on January 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Im not a big fan of sand – but I love to hang out in the ocean! Love this tropical dream of a dessert!!

39. Adrian (Food Rehab) on January 29, 2013 at 8:39 pm

aaah, sago. So simple yet makes the perfect dessert. Love what you’ve done with it…reminds me of tropical getaways.

40. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on January 30, 2013 at 9:59 pm

Ohhh Sago and mango they definitely go hand in hand :) I love them so much!

Don’t worry I’m not really a beach person either! I tan so easily but I don’t like it!! LOL

41. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats on January 31, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Yum yum yum!!! Simple and seriously delicious. It’s really popular here in KL too. Gosh, I can’t wait for the weekend, so I could whip up some treats. ♥ Jo

42. jack great on January 31, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I love mangoes and this recipe is a sure try. Thanks for posting this recipe.

43. muppy on February 2, 2013 at 2:41 pm

looks lovely! i made a similiar dessert the other night after doing a pantry shelf clean out (damn moths) and finding a glorious bag of balls – yum:)

44. Iron Chef Shellie on February 5, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I have a recipe of the same description to post as well. This looks bloody good though!

I know what you mean about the sand…. it gets every where…. but I just love the feel of it under my feet :P

45. [...] we have hosted: Tropical Paradise (January 2013), Sweets for Santa (December 2012), Cake and Three Veg (November 2012); High [...]

46. justagirlfromaamchimumbai@gmail.com on February 19, 2013 at 3:56 pm

Wow love the presentation and the dish. We make a Sagoo without Mangoes but after looking at your post I feel that the mangoes will really bring out the flavor. Awesome post :) Happy to follow your blog.

47. EasyKoreanFood on February 22, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Hello! I recently just started a youtube Korean food channel, EasyKoreanFood, where you can learn how to make fast and easy Korean food! It would mean the world to me if you took the time to check it out because I’m just starting out! Thanks!

48. All the best for you. I like your site, a lot quality content on it!
    All the very best.