Chocolate Crackle Swiss Roll – for a special occasion!!

July 25, 2012

July is a pretty big month here at Dining with a Stud. It’s not only the month in which I was born some mumble mumble mumble years ago, its also the month in which this very blog was born. Today, is my 2 year blogiversary πŸ˜€

Last year with wedding plans galore, my poor little blog got slightly neglected on its birthday, so this year I’m making cake!

This cake originally came about because the amazeballs chickies at Impact had sent me some Bakers Secret goodies – a Swiss Roll Pan to be exact. With the challenge of making something 80’s inspired. Unfortunately, I was away at the time, but never one to back down from a challenge, I have been wracking my brain trying to come up with something. Easy I hear you say? Well no, not really.

Although I’m a child of the 80’s, I was born in them, hence didn’t do much baking – that was mum’s job ;). The one cake I do remember having was a ghost cake that mum had made. It’s the first memory I have from one of my birthdays, and it was awesome!

So after much deliberation, the one thing synonymous with the 80’s –Β and attending numerous kids parties during the 80’s I can say I’m pretty well versed in them –Β was Chocolate Crackles. What the hell is Copha anyway? Thats another post I’m sure! I may or may not have been (and still are at friends kids parties) that person that plonks themselves next to the food table, devouring the chocolate crackles, honey jumbles and fair bread. Don’t judge me! I was a growing child (adult) and I needed sugar! Oh god, did I just sound like an only child then? Wow! Its like sometimes I hear myself talking and wonder who it is.

Back to my celebratory cake!

I cant believe its been two years since I started blogging. Time really does fly and so many things have happened since then! I’m so thankful to all my readers – you guys are amazeballs and every comments makes me SO happy πŸ˜€ Also to my fellow bloggers, I continue to learn from you every day. You guys rock!

A big thanks to my Stud too for sitting through all of my blog ups and downs. You really encourage me with my foodie dream and I love you for that! Well, thats not all I love you for but thats one of the reasons πŸ˜‰

So using my Swiss roll pan, I wanted to bake a Chocolate Crackle Swiss Roll. A basic chocolate sponge, with chocolate crackle buttercream, smooshed together and rolled up in to a log. Topped with a couple of mini crackles for good measure.

My kids party cake varieties are now endless! Excuse my while I go and buy some Corn Flakes πŸ˜€ mwahahahaha

Chocolate Crackle Swiss Roll

Chocolate Crackles
Recipe from Kelloggs

4 cups Rice Bubbles
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
250g copha, chopped
3 tbsp cacao powder (can use cocoa)
10 mini patty cases

In a large bowl, mix the Rice Bubbles, icing sugar, cacao powder & coconut.

In a small saucepan, melt the copha over low heat. Allow to cool slightly.

Add to Rice Bubbles mixture, stirring until well combined. Spoon a heaped teaspoon of mixture into paper patty cases and then spread remaining mixture in to Swiss roll pan. Refrigerate overnight, or until set.

Remove crackle mixture from Swiss roll tin, place on a heavy chopping board and cover with non-stick paper. Using a rolling pin, break the crackles in to small chunks to be used to mix through buttercream later.

note: This mixture allows for quite a lot of crackles. We ate alot along the way and I still had plenty of mixture left to mix through buttercream. So go on, eat a few chunks πŸ˜‰

Chocolate Sponge Cake
Adapted from Chocolate Chilli Mango

4 eggs
120 grams sugar
120 grams cornflour
2 heaped tablespoons cacao powder
a pinch of salt

Preheat the oven to 180℃.Β  Grease Swiss roll pan and set aside.Β

Whisk eggs and sugar in a stand mixer until pale, creamy and fluffy.

Sift together the cornflour, cacao powderΒ and salt.Β In batches, sprinkle evenly over the egg mixture and fold very gently, taking care to avoid deflating the batter.Β

Pour the batter into the prepared Swiss roll pan and bake for 10 – 15mins or until risen and light golden.Β  A skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean.Β

Chocolate crackle buttercream

4 large egg whites
200g icing sugar
250g butter, softened
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbs cocoa powder
Chocolate Crackle mix, broken in to small chunks

Put egg whites and sugar in a clean and heatproof bowl. Place the bowl in a double boiler where the water is just simmering.

Whisk sugar and egg white until the mixture reaches 65Β°. You can rub the mixture together with your fingers if you don’t have a thermometer. There should be no grains left from the sugar.

Transfer to electric mixer and beat until white, fluffy and cool to touch.

Add the butter in small squares slowly, waiting until combined before adding the next. Keep whipping until all combined and then whip through cacao powder.

Add chocolate crackle chunks and fold through mixture until combined.

Assembly

Place a sheet of non-stick paper over a chopping board. Invert the cake on to the paper and spread evenly with the chocolate crackle buttercream.

Starting at the shortest edge, roll the cake up tightly (using the paper to guide and tighten) and once all rolled, wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge for around and hour or until buttercream has hardened slightly.

Remove from the plastic wrap, dust with icing sugar and decorate with mini crackles.

Enjoy πŸ™‚

0 Responses to Chocolate Crackle Swiss Roll – for a special occasion!!

1. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on July 25, 2012 at 4:13 pm

Happy Blogversary πŸ™‚ WOW 2 years that’s amazing woo hoo! Well done! You’ve been so busy with the blog, working and the wedding ~ But you’ve managed and done really well hehe

I’ve never thought of putting something crunchy into Swiss Rolls but I can imagine these to be SOOOOOO yummy! I bought a 800g Rice Bubbles the other day….so this recipe is definitely gonna help me use them up hehe

2. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on July 25, 2012 at 5:37 pm

Happy Bloggaversary!! Man, you always pull out the most enticing desserts…here’s to another year of that!
    Happy Birthday too by the way πŸ™‚

3. Jacq on July 25, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Happy 2nd blog birthday! Ah good old chocolate crackles, I remember eating them as a kid but it’s been far too long since I’ve had one!

4. OohLookBel on July 25, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I really admire your Swiss roll because I just made a FLAT one (didn’t rise)! Yours looks fabulous and very fitting for your blog birthday.

5. Tina @ bitemeshowme on July 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

Aww happy bloggiversary for yesterday! Oh man, I have not had a chocolate crackle in yearsssssssss! They used to be the thing I went for first at school bake sales. Your Swiss Roll looks amazing. I’ve never wanted to make one because I’m scared it will crack when rolling it up!

6. Hotly Spiced on July 26, 2012 at 12:40 pm

Congrats on a great two years. I’ve made a Swiss roll before but never with chocolate crackles. This is a really gorgeous celebration cake. It just looks perfect xx

7. ChopinandMysaucepan on July 26, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Dear Nic,

Happy blog anniversary! Which day in July are you? I’m a July baby too πŸ™‚

8. Choc Chip Uru on July 26, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Happy 2nd blogversary my friend πŸ˜€
    This roll is more than befitting!

9. Von on July 26, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Happy 2nd Birthday to your blog! Time does fly really quickly! I love the idea of chocolate crackles and swiss roll πŸ˜‰ The first time I made chocolate crackles was in high school, when we made them for a science experiment about rocks…haha

10. Claire @ Claire K Creations on July 26, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I love it! Happy Blogoversary!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who parks themselves at the food table. If there’s no food table I like to find the most strategic place to intercept the waiters on their way out of the kitchen.

11. Iron Chef Shellie on July 26, 2012 at 4:51 pm

OMG!!! I love the sound of this dessert!!

Happy bloggybirthday! xx

12. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats on July 26, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Happy BloggAniversary!! What a great way to celebrate.. time does fly Nic, and I feel like I still have so much more to accomplish, in terms of baking, working and blogging. I feel like I have neglected my blog lately, and am struggling to keep track. Kudos for making swiss rolls mate.. cos I know I will fail doing it.. LOL.. till then,xoxo, Jo

13. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 26, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Aww Happy Blogsoversary Nic!! May there be many more to come too. And this divine Swiss roll is the perfect way to celebrate πŸ˜€

14. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on July 26, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Happy Birthday to your blog! I love the creativity of this dessert. You are very clever πŸ™‚ I also love it because it reminds me of my Nan, she used to make chocolate crackles for me as a kid.

15. Adrian (Food Rehab) on July 26, 2012 at 10:39 pm

G you! Congrats, what a milestone. Keeping a blog alive these days ain’t easy and yep, what a way to celebrate …with cake!

16. penny aka jeroxie on July 26, 2012 at 10:48 pm

I failed at swiss roll… always CRACK!

17. The Squishy Monster on July 27, 2012 at 3:37 am

I love how they’re called rice bubbles πŸ˜‰

This is most definitely a special treat. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us!!

18. celia on July 27, 2012 at 6:22 am

Happy blogaversary AND birthday, Nic! Cake looks stunning! πŸ™‚

19. Hannah on July 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Happy birthday and blogiversary! Love the melding of a childhood treat with adult spiced flavours. So good!

20. Joanne on July 27, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Happy birthday AND bloggiversary! WOw what a great month! This swiss roll looks amazing. Chocolate heaven.

21. missklicious on July 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm

Happy blogiversary!

22. Melanie @ Easy Recipes With Pictures on July 29, 2012 at 7:36 am

Happy blogging anniversary! That’s a delicious looking chocolate roll!

23. Nami | Just One Cookbook on July 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

Whoo hooo! Happy 2nd Blog Anniversary Nic! What a great milestone and I’m so happy for you! What a beautiful treat to celebrate this occasion with. Your chocolate swiss roll is stunning!

24. Christie @ Fig & Cherry on July 30, 2012 at 10:18 am

Oh my goodness, what a brilliant idea! Love it so much! Crackles were my fav as a kid. Happy blogiversary too, bet those two years have flown by πŸ™‚

25. catty on July 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Happy bloggy birthday! I have to say, the one thing better than a chocolate swiss roll is one with crackles πŸ˜€ Love it and congratulations!

26. Jennifer @ Delicieux on July 31, 2012 at 10:07 am

Happy 2nd blog birthday Nic!!! What a great milestone and a fantastic way to celebrate too! Ahhh the memories of chocolate crackles at parties growing up. Your cake looks like so much fun.

27. Monica (@gastromony) on July 31, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This I need to make at the next kids’ party for adult guests πŸ™‚ Super!

Congrats on two years of blogging πŸ™‚

28. vanessalillian on July 31, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Happy blogoversary! I’ve been known to make fairy bread as a snack and scab invites to children’s birthday parties so I can eat the chocolate crackles and honey joys. That’s not weird at alllll… πŸ˜‰

But the real question: Are sultanas an acceptable addition to chocolate crackles? Some say yes, some say no and I’m still not sure because whilst I do like sultanas, I’m just not sure that chocolate crackles is their place. their place.

29. Vivian - vxdollface on July 31, 2012 at 2:22 pm

happy 2yr blogaversary! hehe love the look of your choc swiss roll! i attempted a swiss roll once.. to make a log for christmas..but mine didn’t turn out so pretty so i made some chestnut puree folded into some whipped cream which did the trick to cover it up πŸ™‚

30. Yasmeen @ Wandering Spice on July 31, 2012 at 5:29 pm

Hey! We have a few things in common: July birthdays and mid-year weddings πŸ™‚ Congratulations on both!

This is such a celebratory cake, just perfect for a 2-year fiesta.

31. Trisha on July 31, 2012 at 10:43 pm

Oh that looks stunning! I loooove chocolate crackles! Happy 2nd blog anniversary!

32. SarahKate@Mi Casa-Su Casa on August 1, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Yay! Good for you and happy blog birthday. This cake looks perfect for your celebration!

33. lizzie - strayed from the table on August 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Happy Blogoversery. July babies must be born foodies! I don’t think I have had chocolate crackles since the 80’s, when I was at primary school.
    Congrats, and what a nice way to celebrate with that cake.