Sticky Sweet Bacon Pull-Apart Bread

July 18, 2012

My grandmother used Pyrex. My mum uses Pyrex. I use Pyrex.

I was in desperate need of new Pyrex actually. Not that my old stuff had worn out, it was still going strong – but you know how it is with these damn food bloggers, they use a lot of stuff. At once. And wash up last. It gets annoying.

By some random twist of fate, the fabulous ladies at Impact sent me a measuring jug, and an Easy Grab loaf pan. My mum picked it up from the post office for me. She was jealous. Just saying.

Brainstorming recipes to use my spanking new toys, I thought back to a bread recipe I’d seen on Pinterest – A cheesy pull-apart bread. Of course, I wanted to put a spin on it.

I was a little reluctant to use the glass as a bread tin but Pyrex is pretty sturdy so I thought I would give it a shot anyway. Plus Stud wasn’t home so if it did go pear-shaped, he wouldn’t be around to see the evidence and we would sweep this one under the rug. Not literally of course, that would be very sharp and start to smell pretty soon.

The house smelt amazing, the dish worked perfectly, the bread was pull apart deliciousness, and really, does bacon need any bogging up? I think not!

Sticky Sweet Bacon Pull-Apart Bread

Basic pizza dough
500g rindless bacon
5 tbs golden syrup (you could use Maple, I just had excess Golden so went with it)
Butter for greasing

Preheat oven to 200°.

Dice bacon and place in a non-stick cold pan on a high heat.

Fry bacon in its own fat until it becomes crisp.

Turn heat down to low, add Golden Syrup and stir until all the bacon is coated and sauce has thickened.

Grease loaf pan with lots of butter. You can never have too much butter.

Divide dough in to 10 sections.

Stretch a piece of dough until you have a rough rectangle shape, the size of your loaf pan. Resting the loaf pan on the short edge (you may need to prop it up with some tea towels), place stretched dough in the pan. Sprinkle some sticky bacon on the flat side of the dough.

Stretch another piece of dough, place on top of the stick-bacon-side-up dough in the pan and repeat until all layers are covered and the pan is full.

Brush with a little more butter 😉

Bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden and bread sounds hollow when tapped.

Tags: ,

25 Responses to Sticky Sweet Bacon Pull-Apart Bread

1. Alana on July 18, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I’d never thought to bake bread in pyrex! I love how you’ve candied the bacon before throwing it into the dough, it looks amazing.

2. catty on July 18, 2012 at 9:27 pm

OMG that looks fricking DELICIOUS!!!!!!!

3. anna on July 18, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Grew up with Pyrex just as well! I love pull apart breads! And this version is a knock out!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 19, 2012 at 12:43 am

That has the most amazing bacon filled centre! What a great idea Nic! 😀

5. Kelly (MsBrulee) on July 19, 2012 at 11:06 am

Love your twist on the original recipe, your Mum can’t be jealous if you’re always making delicious food for everyone, jussayin

6. Hotly Spiced on July 19, 2012 at 11:24 am

I would never have thought to use pyrex to make bread. And this has worked so well. What a delicious pull-apart loaf. Your kitchen must have smelled wonderful while this was baking xx

7. Choc Chip Uru on July 19, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Pull apart breads are insanely beautiful – I love your bacon twist 😀

8. Iron Chef Shellie on July 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

you had me at bacon….

this looks amazing!

9. sugarpuffi on July 19, 2012 at 2:55 pm

wow the bread looks amazing!!

10. Nami | Just One Cookbook on July 20, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Bacon!! I’ve seen cinnamon flavored pull apart bread before but it’s first time seeing with bacon! My family would love this bread! Pull-apart bread itself is a beauty but now with bacon, it’s awesome!!

11. Joanne on July 22, 2012 at 4:01 am

I use pyrex also! And you’re right. You can never have too much. 😛 The sweet and salty in this looks awesome!

12. angela@spinachtiger on July 22, 2012 at 4:20 am

Well, now this is just about genius and I have a friend who would kiss you for this. She’s a bacon fanatic, and I think I want to surprise her with it.

13. Karen on July 23, 2012 at 10:07 am

This looks so good, and I haven’t been to crazy about bacon lately!! I kind of collect Pyrex, but I’m sure my mom is claiming them as hers 🙂

14. Jennifer @ Delicieux on July 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

What a great idea to bake bread in Pyrex 😀 I would never have thought about that.

15. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on July 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

LOVE!! Love this, love the bacon, love Pyrex, love everything about this post!

16. muppy on July 24, 2012 at 7:30 am

Awesome! i do love pyrex too, cook all sorts of things in it 🙂 your bread is making me hungry.

17. Tina @ bitemeshowme on July 24, 2012 at 8:46 am

I love the look of this nic! It looks amazing. Love how as you pull it apart you get all the good bits inside… oooooh! 😀

18. Claire @ Claire K Creations on July 24, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Oh nom nom nom that looks so good! It would be even better if you didn’t know there was bacon in there and ripped it open to find a very welcome surprise!

19. anh@anhsfoodblog.com on July 24, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I dont take bacon, but this lovely recipe can be adapted to use the fabulous Turkish sausage I have!

20. Moya on July 25, 2012 at 3:01 am

Happy baking in your new pyrex dish, it is always nice to get something new for baking and cooking! I have never used Pyrex for baking… I was brought up on tins! The pull apart bread looks scrumptious Nic! 🙂

21. SarahKate@Mi Casa-Su Casa on July 25, 2012 at 11:29 am

I adore Pyrex. It just keeps going and going and going! I’ve been eyeing up a recipe for beer, mustard and cheese pull-apart bread lately. Thinking I need to get on that!

22. Jacqui on July 31, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I can just imagine how that tastes. ALL THAT BACON!! I don’t trust anyone who doesn’t eat bacon! I’m going to have to make this, SOON!

23. Lianne on August 7, 2012 at 4:19 pm

this sounds DIVINE!!! (: So going to bookmark this recipe and try it one weekend! hehe

24. Steph @ Lipstick & Cake on August 8, 2012 at 10:33 pm

This looks so so so so so yummy Nic!
    A must-try recipe me thinks 🙂
    x

25. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on August 10, 2012 at 8:40 pm

Woah that looks fab! Love the way it is assembled. I think my boys would tag me No. 1 Mum if I bake this up for a weekend brekkie 🙂