It’s amazing what one can do in a pinch. This is one of those times.
I’d originally wanted to do a hazelnut dessert for this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Nuts about Sweets. I’d bought some beautiful roasted hazelnuts from the farmers markets in Mudgee, and thought they’d be perfect for it. As usual, leaving things til the last minute, I emptied my hazelnuts to start taking the skins off, not realising that they were actually still in their shells. I know, I know! I don’t have a nutcracker. Insert minor heart attack here.
So, frantically searching the pantry for any nut I could find, I came across some chopped peanuts that I usually use for my choc chip cookies. They’re not fancy, but they’ll do!
I don’t know about you guys, but to me peanuts either mean Reese’s (duh) or peanut brittle. After much debate, I settled on the dessert you see before you – Peanut Brittle Semi-freddo.
I love how easy this dessert is. You can literally whip it up in a matter for moments, whack it all together, and throw it in the freezer, and once its set (I left it overnight but you could probably do it the morning of a dinner party) you get a beautifully creamy ice-cream with the sticky toffee crunch of the brittle.
Peanut Brittle Semi-freddo
Adapted from allrecipes
1 ½ cups chopped peanuts
1 cup white sugar
½ cup golden syrup
1 good pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon bicarb soda
Line a baking tray with non-stick baking paper and set aside.
In a glass bowl, combine peanuts, sugar, golden syrup, and salt. Cook in microwave for 5 to 7 minutes on High; mixture should be bubbly starting to brown. Stir in butter and vanilla; cook for another 2 minutes.
Quickly stir in baking soda, just until mixture is foamy. Pour immediately onto baking tray and allow to cool for around 15 minutes, or until set.
Place another sheet of non-stick paper on top of the brittle and bash until you have small crumbs (I used a rolling pin). Set aside in a container.
Adapted from Good Chef, Bad Chef
3 egg yolks
6 whole eggs
1tsp vanilla paste
Whip cream to soft peaks, fold in vanilla and set aside.
In an electric mixer, whip eggs and sugar until light, pale and fluffy.
Combine egg mix and cream, folding lightly so you don’t lose too much air.
Fold through brittle and place in a loaf tin lined with Glad Wrap.
I actually had a whole mix left over which I used to fill a 2 Litre ice-cream container. But you know, for presentation purposes, the loaf tin works well
So welcome, once again to the Sweet Adventures Blog Hop. Thank you to our return hoppers and a big welcome to those newbies for this month. We love looking through the creations each month, and you guys definitely deliver some drool worthy dishes.
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Nuts about Sweets
IMPORTANT - Please read the instructions below, they explain how to link up and how to get the hop to appear on your post. If you aren’t sure of something leave a comment or send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and I will help where I can.
- Click here for the Link Code – Grab the code and add it to the bottom of your Nuts about Sweets post, you will need to do this in HTML view.
* Adding the code will create the thumbnail link list on your post so people can hop from one entry to the next!
* REMEMBER – if you are on wordpress.com [not self hosted] the list will not show on your blog, please create a text link back to this post so others can hop through the entries!
- Grab the SABH Nuts about Sweets badge and add it to your post – you can get it at the top of this post or from the Announcement page.
* Just right click on the image, ‘save as’, upload to your site and add it to your Nuts about Sweets post.
* Link the badge or a line of text to the hostess post [that’s this page here] so that others can view the instructions on how to join.
- Click here to Enter the Hop – This is the really important bit! The badge and thumbnail list are on your post, make sure to enter the hop so you appear in the list.
* On the entry screen, please add the link to your Nuts about Sweets [not your homepage].
* When asked for ‘your name’ please enter your blog name, not your name.
* When asked for a back link, link to this post.
* Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.
PLEASE NOTE – your linked post WILL NOT appear straight away in the blog hop thumbnail list. To combat spam this is a moderated hop. Your post will be visible in the list after approved. Entries are approved in the order they are submitted during waking hours in Sydney. A girl needs to get her beauty sleep.