Kingsley’s Steak and Crab House – Woolloomooloo

July 3, 2012

Back in October of last year, I went to a little convention called Eat Drink Blog. Ok, it’s not so little, if you’re a blogger that is. But it’s quite possibly the most enjoyable blogging experience I have had to date. Sessions on writing, cooking, photography, styling, the list is pretty endless. Plus of course, lots, and LOTS of food.

One of the cooking classes that actually took place on the day was a crab class with Lars Svensson (Kinglsey’s head chef ) and as soon as I’d seen the days’ timetable, I knew I wanted in. I’d always wanted to cook crab and I was about to learn how. By the chef at Kingsley’s no less. Check. Me. Out! Lol.

Lars was a great teacher and a clearly passionate chef. It was literally bang, bang, bang, and I present to you…..chilli mud crab. Shut up! It’s not that easy? Yes, yes it is!

Our day ended (or for some of us, just began) at Kinglsey’s Steak and Crabhouse in Woolloomooloo where Lars introduced the upcoming meal to a swarm of hungry bloggers. Such a brave, brave man! All of our mouths were watering and we couldn’t wait for the first course.

“Canape?”

“Yes please!! Can you just stand there for a moment while we take some shots of the food?”

“Of course”

Lol! I love eating with other food bloggers! The only thing that made this better was that it was a blogger event so even the staff couldn’t get angry when we took ages to get the perfect shot haha. Brilliant!

We eat our first little morsels of the evening – Salmon Sashimi on rice and Sweet Breads on Black Pudding.

As you guys know, my all-time fave is sashimi so of course this one was a winner, but I was highly surprised by the sweetbreads. Umm Yum-O!! Not offally at all as I’d kind of expected. Gorgeous little bites and I wanted more! Perfect starters to wet our ever growing appetites.

Entrée tiiiiiiiime! Smoked Yellowfin Tuna Carpaccio with Pickled Chilli and Pistachio Nuts. This was my favourite dish of the night. Beautifully smoked (but not over smoked) tuna and the pickled chillies were divine. I actually sourced these after the lovely ladies at Kingsleys let me in on their supplier. Dad and I went halvies in a 5kg tub of pickled chilli’s lol. Obsessed much?

Mains were served family style and nothing about a food blogger is shy, especially after we’d spent all day together, so it was every man/woman for himself digging in to the Slow Roasted Beef Tenderloin, pasture fed, Grasslands, Marble score 2+,

Wagyu Flat Iron Steak, Oakleigh Ranch,

Kipfler potato, chorizo, spinach, grilled asparagus, buffalo parmesan, evo, heirloom tomato, roast olives, aged balsamic.

There was a divide at the table as to which beef was their favourite. I edged in the side of the Tenderloin. Who can pass up a cut like that? Wonderfully charred on the outside, and juicy succulent innards – it’s the things that beefy dreams are made of!

For dessert, Gorgonzola Dolce Mt Buffalo hazelnuts & iron bark honey. I’m such a lover of a cheese course for dessert although I do like to end a meal on something sweet so I’m usually torn. Perhaps cheese as pre-dessert? Yeah, that works. OR you can do what Kingsley’s so and combine salty, sweet and AWESOME all in the one dish! I’d definitely order this again. It had a great flavour combo and all different textures too. Tres amazing.

The service, the food, the wine, the venue and the company really made for a memorable evening and I can’t wait to see all my fellow food bloggers again sometime soon. I also can’t wait to take Stud to Kingsley’s to try out even more of their menu.

19 Responses to Kingsley’s Steak and Crab House – Woolloomooloo

1. Amystown on July 3, 2012 at 9:59 pm

That was a good good night…

2. Michael on July 3, 2012 at 10:15 pm

I love those cuts of steak that we don’t normally get to eat. I wish my butcher would stock them or atleast I had any idea where to get them from.

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 3, 2012 at 10:57 pm

Hehe I often wonder if they think that we bloggers are strange for taking the photos or if they’re used to us! 😀

4. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on July 4, 2012 at 10:13 am

Oh I wish I went! That is my kind of cooking class!

5. Hotly Spiced on July 4, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I love the look of the lamb. It’s cooked so well. This event with other food bloggers sounds like fun xx

6. Hannah on July 4, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Ooooh, we have a Kinglsey’s in Canberra too, and I had a most marvellous cheesecake there when I went last year on a date. That cheese course looks wonderful too 🙂

7. anh@anhsfoodblog.com on July 4, 2012 at 1:35 pm

i love the look of that waygu steak!

8. Choc Chip Uru on July 4, 2012 at 3:35 pm

This is one really cool and intense cooking class my friend 😀
    Love it!

9. sugarpuffi on July 4, 2012 at 4:33 pm

oh god, how good was the cheese dessert? ive yet to blog about this haha!!

10. Miss Piggy on July 4, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Silly me missing the dinner…looks great, bet it was such great fun too.

11. Joanne on July 4, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Hanging out with and eating with other food bloggers is the best! What a great dinner!

12. ChopinandMysaucepan on July 5, 2012 at 10:57 am

Dear Nic,

That wagyu steak looks awesome. It’s been a while since I’ve been to Kingsley’s at Woolloomooloo but the last time, I really enjoyed a grass fed rib eye.

13. The Squishy Monster on July 5, 2012 at 2:35 pm

I will definitely have to look into going here!!!
    Thank you for sharing this information =D

I hope you had a fabulous 4th!
    XOXO
    Twitter @aSquishyMonster

14. Lianne on July 5, 2012 at 4:37 pm

ooo. that beef looks so good! (:

15. Trisha on July 6, 2012 at 8:23 am

Last year’s EDB was just awesome! Can’t wait for this years’ (in Adelaide!!!)

16. Nami | Just One Cookbook on July 6, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Everything looks good but wagyu steak looks extraordinary delicious here. It sounds like fun event and I love how you write! 😉

17. Iron Chef Shellie on July 6, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Craving beef now… =O

Have a great weekend lovely! x

18. Winston on July 8, 2012 at 12:05 am

Australia is SO blessed with all these amazing and unbelievably good beef and I honestly think that more people around the world should know about how good it is too! And not just that, we have chefs and restaurants that does the produce justice such as these. Gosh my mouth is seriously watering

19. Daisy@Nevertoosweet on July 17, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Wow everything looks amazing! I agree with Winston we’re so lucky in Australia to have so much natural produce 😉