Passionfruit pastilles

April 25, 2012

Whenever I think of pastilles (or Jubes as we called them), I remember my grandfather. He loved his lollies, and when I was growing up, would always have some floating around “for the grandkids”, and by that I mean, he could blame the kids when Grandma asked why they had so many lollies around the house.

I would sit there and pick out all of the red ones, and when those were finished, slowly go through in order of colour palette, devouring the rest of them with Pa. Back then, there was no flavour, I just knew I liked certain colours, and that the black one was disgusting lol.

Pastilles are something that I had never even thought to attempt but I have to say, after looking in Heston’s Heston at Home book, they seemed a breeze! So, as the lovely people at the Passionfruit Industry of Australia had sent me some delicious passionfruits, and the challenge of creating a quick recipe to get Australians back in the kitchen, I thought that Passionfruit Pastilles would be a great place to start, and a great dedication to my Pa.

This recipe is really simple, you just need a sugar thermometer and the rest, you will more than likely have in your pantry. Ok, except maybe glucose and gelatin. Those you’ll need to go grab but they’re dirt cheap and can be found in any supermarket. But you can literally whip these babies up in about 10 minutes and then you just let them set for a few hours. It couldn’t be simpler, and then you can have the accomplishing feeling of knowing that you made them yourself.

According to Passionfruit Industry of Australia research, with over 2,600 Australians surveyed, 72% of respondents listed a home cooked meal as part of their ideal date. Ok, these are lollies and not a home cooked meal – but guys and gals, if you end your home cooked meal with a little bowl of pastilles, and homemade pastilles at that, imagine how impressed your date would be? Serving with a cheeky glass of dessert wine wouldn’t hurt either 😉

Passionfruit pastilles
Adapted from Heston at Home by Heston Blumenthal

500g passionfruit pulp (Approx 15 passionfruit)
250g sugar
100g glucose
15g lemon juice
1/2 cup cold water
4 tbs gelatin powder

Spray and line a baking tin with non-stick paper.

Place pulp in a saucepan and using a stick blender, blitz the pulp and seeds so the seeds break up and resemble poppy seeds.

Place cold water in a small bowl and sprinkle over gelatin.

Combine sugar, passionfruit, and glucose and heat on medium until sugar dissolves and mixture reaches 108°C.

Remove from the heat and stir in lemon juice and gelatin mixture, until gelatin has melted through.

Pour in to prepared tin and leave to set in the fridge. I just did this overnight

Once set, cut in to cubes and serve.

Just as a side note: I used Hestons recipe which called for pectin (I used Jam Setter instead) and it didn’t work. It may have been due to the pectin substitute but I ended up having to restart and use gelatin instead. If you try Heston’s recipe and it works for you, please let me know 🙂

A big thank you to Impact PR and Passionfruit Industry of Australia for sending me these wonderful little gems 🙂

Tags: ,

11 Responses to Passionfruit pastilles

1. OohLookBel on April 25, 2012 at 9:23 pm

If I realised that Heston’s jubes were so easy to make, well, I would have tried them ages ago. Your pastilles look lovely, definitely date-worthy.

2. Cessie on April 26, 2012 at 9:45 am

These look completely delicious! xx

3. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on April 26, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I am on the hunt for a good jube recipe. Having tried 2 different ones now, I am going to give these a sht. The fresh passionfruit must have been perfect in this form!

4. Hannah on April 26, 2012 at 5:47 pm

This is my kind of candy; I love the blend of sweet and tangy 🙂

5. Jennifer (Delicieux) on April 27, 2012 at 7:29 am

Your pastilles look gorgeous Nic! It’s funny how you associate jubes with your Grandfather, I associate jelly beans with mine. So much so that when I was little I referred to him as Jelly Bean Grandpa and soon everyone called him “Jelly Bean”. Thanks for bringing back such a great memory.

6. Vintage Macaroon on April 30, 2012 at 4:28 pm

wow you have been busy since I last took a peak at your blog. These look great! My Nanna used to make jelly lollies, such great memories. You have inspired me, maybe I might give them a try.

7. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on April 30, 2012 at 11:32 pm

I feel a little silly but hehe I don’t think i’ve had Pastilles or jubes before 😛 *blushes* but they look like great little jelly lollies ~ hope to try this recipe soon 😀 thanks for sharing as always!

8. Choc Chip Uru on May 1, 2012 at 1:10 pm

These look so stunning – I love pastilles 😀
    Your recipe is both dangerous and delicious!

9. The Bludger on August 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

I have not been able to get Heston’s recipe to work with pectin. I have tried twice and use an accurate digital thermometer.
    The last batch I reheated with a bit more pectin which thickened it up a bit more, it made a nice gooey Passionfruit jam that is very tasty on bread or toast. So all is not lost.
    I will try again with Gelatin. Thanks for the tip.

10. justin on August 30, 2012 at 4:58 pm

hi there
    they look great
    i just made them using heston recipe and they worked with pectin powder
    i found that it took sometime to get the mixture up to 108 degrees and mine turned out darker than yours
    just setting now

11. […] time I was in a very similar situation, I made Passionfruit Pastilles a la Heston (well kind of). This time I wanted to flip the universe a […]