Lemon curd tarts

April 17, 2012

When this months Sweet Adventures Blog Hop rolled around and we decided on lemons, about a billion recipes ran through my mind. I wanted to do something fancy, Stud wanted cheesecake. That all went out the window the day that I received my Bourke Street Bakery book in the post. ZOMG! This book has very quickly (and when I say quickly, I mean instantly) become my Baking Bible. So it was reasonably inevitable that I was to search this book, and this book alone, for a lemon dessert.

Lemon curd tarts? Simple yes, but delicious none the less. I love the way that these are the right amount of sourness from the lemons and not too sweet at all.

The actual recipe made WAY more than necessary so you could really quarter the filling recipe for this. I like to have leftovers to have as toppings for, ummm, everything 🙂

The pastry recipe is also quite a lot. I made the whole recipe and am using the others for another recipe that I’ll be posting shortly. Stay tuned lovelies!

I’d also love to thank Jen from Delicieux for hosting this month. Head on over to her post to find out more about how to enter.

Lemon curd tarts
Adapted from Bourke Street Bakery – The Ulitmate Baking Companion

Sweet shortcrust pastry

400g butter, chilled and cut in to 1.5cm cubes
20ml vinegar
100g caster sugar
170ml chilled water
665g plain flour
5g salt

Remove butter from fridge 20mins before using. Butter should be cold but somewhat pliable.

Place vinegar, sugar and water in a small bowl and mix well. Set aside for 10 minutes and then stir again to ensure sugar is dissolved.

Put flour, salt and butter in food processor and pulse until resembles breadcrumbs.

Tip mixture out on to bench top and slowly add water, mixing as you go until all combined. Flour bench top and softly roll out dough. Once its in a ball, split in two, roll out each in to a disc, wrap in cling wrap and place in the fridge.

Lemon curd tarts

10 eggs
200g caster sugar
250ml freshly squeezed lemon juice
300ml pouring cream
1 shortcrust pastry disc

Place eggs, sugar and lemon juice in a large steel bowl and whisk until sugar is dissolved.

Pour in the cream and mix well to combine.

Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water for around 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and smooth. Its important to keep stirring so the mix doesn’t get grainy.

Remove from the double boiler and continue to stir for around a minute to cool down. Once cooled, place plastic wrap directly on top of the curd and place in the fridge overnight.

Remove the pastry from the fridge about 20 minutes before you are ready to use it.

Roll out between two floured non-stick paper sheets and then cut discs to the size of mini tartlet casings. Place each disc inside a tart tin and blind bake for 15-20 minutes, or until golden.

Remove from the oven and cool completely.

Place a small amount of curd in a piping bag, pipe in to casings and put back in the fridge for about an hour before serving.

23 Responses to Lemon curd tarts

1. Jennifer (Delicieux) on April 18, 2012 at 7:00 am

Gourgeous Nic! It’s funny, and I guess not that surprising that so many of us went down the lemon curd path. Reading that there were 10 eggs in your lemon curd I’m not surprised you ended up with way more then necessary, but having excess lemon curd on hand is never a bad thing in my eyes 😉 By the way, the Bourke St Bakery book is on my wishlist too. So good to know it’s such a keeper.

2. Nic on April 18, 2012 at 7:11 am

This was the recipe that first got me into lemon curd! Delicious! I have this book too and haven’t cooked nearly enough recipes from it! Might have to go and get it off the shelf…

3. InTolerantChef on April 18, 2012 at 10:44 am

So rich and lovely indeed! Great job, and enjoy usin all the leftovers 🙂

4. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats on April 18, 2012 at 11:22 am

oOO.. I know I can’t resist this too.. Lemon Curd Tart.. yuummmmm.. I have made another twist last year I think.. Lemon Pavlova Curd Tart.. LOL. Your curds looks so rich and tangy. Sending chills down my spine and making me mouth water too.. Can’t wait to submit my post too.. Till then Nic..xoxo

5. OohLookBel on April 18, 2012 at 11:40 am

When I got Belinda Jeffery’s baking book, I hoped it would become my bible, but I’ve yet to make anything from it. Will have to check out BSB’s instead. Your tarts look scrumptious!

6. Hannah on April 18, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I am utterly helpless before lemon desserts, and this indeed looks irresistible!

7. Claire @ Claire K Creations on April 18, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Yummo! I love lemon curd tarts. I could eat them every day if I had to. I’m a bit jealous of your Bourke Street Bakery book. Will have to get one of those myself.

8. Lizzy (Good Things) on April 18, 2012 at 7:52 pm

Delicious! I feel I am going to need a kaftan with all this deliciousness!

9. Erin @ she cooks, she gardens on April 19, 2012 at 12:27 am

Lemon curd is my number 1 weakness, I could eat it straight from the bowl. I love these lovely little tarts and the dough recipe looks like a winner too. I’m not surprised to hear it came from the Bourke Street book, it’s one of my absolute faves as it has so many great pastry recipes, the chickpea rolls are on high rotation at our place.

🙂

10. Carolanne on April 19, 2012 at 3:09 pm

I love lemon curd and had to resist not making it for the blog hop…only out of fear that I would eat every last drop before I got any baking done! Your tarts look gorgeoues

11. Moya on April 19, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Who can so no to lemon curd… not me anyway! In my mind I see myself using some of your lemon curd excess and spreading it over a thick piece of warm toast! 🙂

12. muppy on April 19, 2012 at 7:38 pm

all these lemon recipes are making me hungry!! i bought this book as a present for my brother, it was amaaaaazing!

13. msihua on April 20, 2012 at 10:15 pm

These looks so good and delicious! I love lemons!

14. Choc Chip Uru on April 21, 2012 at 7:48 am

These tartlettes are divine! They look do cute, small and creamy 😀
    Much loved!

15. Gastronomy Gal on April 21, 2012 at 9:23 am

ooo- nice one. I have wondered if Bourke Street is worth buying- there gets to a point where there’s only so much room to store books, so I have to make sure they are worth it!

16. JJ @ 84thand3rd on April 21, 2012 at 10:21 pm

That is one rich sounding lemon curd! That book would be far too dangerous for me to have around!

17. Vivian - vxdollface on April 22, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Good job on the tarts! I’ve got the book too but I find that the recipes are catered to a feeding a very large group of people 🙁

18. Christina @ The Hungry Australian on April 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

These looks gorgeous! I’ve heard such good things about this cook book – I think I’m going to have to get my hands on a copy 🙂

19. SarahKate@Mi Casa-Su Casa on April 22, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I love that book… so many gorgeous options! Lemon curd is one of those things I’ve always wanted to make myself but never gotten around to. Must try this recipe!

20. nancy at good food matters on April 25, 2012 at 4:52 am

simple is often the best way to go. The tangy sweet-sour of lemon curd is always a pleasure. I like the bit of vinegar added to the pastry—excellent idea!

21. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on April 25, 2012 at 9:40 am

Dear Nic,

These tarts look delicious and it wasn’t as difficult as recipe as I thought. Lemon is indeed such a versatile ingredient and I love using it especially for Italian recipes.

22. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on April 30, 2012 at 11:31 pm

Ohhh yum 🙂 I love all lemon types of tarts hehe ~ I still haven’t had the chance to visit the Bourke Street Bakery let alone get the book but hahaa i’m really tempted to order it 😀 Thanks for sharing!

23. Karen on May 12, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Looks delicious! I might have to try out your shortcrust recipe!!