Pear and blue cheese tarts

March 30, 2012

I need to eat more fruit. I buy it, with every intention of actually eating it, but usually, Stud eats it before it turns to mush in the fridge. There was a period there (pre-wedding) where we were eating a lot of fruit with yoghurt. Now that it’s getting a little colder, it’s harder to want for a cold dessert. So when the fabulous people at Australian Pears sent me a lovely box of pears along with a challenge β€œWhat can you pair with pears?”, I knew it had to be a warming dish and as per usual, something a little bit different.

Whenever I think of pairs, I picture them fanned out over a thick wooden chopping board, next to some beautifully stinky blue cheese. This was my inspiration. Now, how to translate to dessert? I decided to do a pear tart with blue cheese pastry. I was kind of winging it with this one, I’m well aware that pastry (and dessert in general for that matter) can be a very temperamental art form. It comes down to quantities, its not as easy as the regular savoury dish where you can add a little or a lot extra and have it to how you like it.

So, this is how it turned out. Freakin awesome! Lol, if I do say so myself πŸ™‚

Pear and blue cheese tarts

A Dining with a Stud original

120gΒ  butter
70g blue cheese
225g plain flour (may use slightly more of less, just get a feel for the mixture)
4 pears (can use more if doing a large tart)
2tbs caster sugar

Blend cheese, butter and flour together in food processor until comes together in a ball.

Wrap dough in cling film and place in the fridge for at least an hour.

Remove pastry from the fridge an preheat oven to 200Β°c.

Roll out pastry to about 5mm thickness and place in pie tin. I used mini tins although you could make one big pie if you like. Patch up any holes with excess pastry as you go along if necessary.

Peel and core pair, leaving the stem in tact. Slice down vertically ensuring not to cut all the way through. Fan out lightly and place in the middle of the pie tin. Place smaller pear pieces around the edge if needed.

Sprinkle with sugar and bake in the oven for around 15 minutes (fan-forced) or until the crust is golden and the pear is tender.

Serve warm πŸ™‚

0 Responses to Pear and blue cheese tarts

1. Katherine Martinelli on March 31, 2012 at 2:40 am

What an incredible dessert! I love that it takes the idea of a cheese course and turns it into a dessert. Yum. I’m the same way with fruit sometimes I need to be better about it!

2. Choc Chip Uru on March 31, 2012 at 11:05 am

What an exoti but delicious sounding recipe – dessert was never more french πŸ˜‰

3. Hotly Spiced on March 31, 2012 at 1:14 pm

I have just finished my challenge of getting through a box of pears. I didn’t cook mine with blue cheese and now I’m wondering why when the two flavours are so wonderful together. Great recipe xx

4. Joanne on March 31, 2012 at 9:35 pm

I tend to eat the same fruit all the time but i really need to start eating out-of-the-box fruit treats! I love that you threw blue cheese into the mix. So inventive!

5. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on April 1, 2012 at 6:50 am

It happens to me too when I buy a lot of fruit but never really eat to get it because either Mr Bao or my parents will each it all sighhh πŸ™
    Great recipe!!! Thank for sharing~

6. msihua on April 1, 2012 at 8:58 am

Somehow I think you need to eat more fresh fruit πŸ˜› Not saying that you shouldn’t eat these.. I LOVE THIS.. but you need fresh fruit my dear πŸ™‚

7. Jennifer (Delicieux) on April 1, 2012 at 2:26 pm

Wow, this sounds incredible Nic. I love that this recipe brings the dessert and cheese course together in one dish.

8. SarahKate@Mi Casa-Su Casa on April 1, 2012 at 7:53 pm

I’m the kind of girl who would rather have a cheese course than order dessert, so this is kind of the best of both worlds for me! Looks great!

9. Claire @ Claire K Creations on April 1, 2012 at 8:11 pm

I’m not great with fruit either but if it means eating dessert I might have to increase my fruit intake.

10. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake on April 2, 2012 at 1:02 am

Wow, they turned out really beautiful! You did a great job, Nic. πŸ™‚
    I’m wondering how much of the cheese you can still taste in the end?

I’m quite good with eating my fruits, actually. I know it sounds weird but sometimes when I’m up late (which happens way too often because there’s always too much to do for a 24h day…) I got insane cravings for fruits and almost eat a whole bowl of it! I guess it could be worse… πŸ˜‰

Cheers,
    Tobias

11. Christie @ Fig & Cherry on April 2, 2012 at 8:41 am

I got some pears too and am thinking about matching them with cheese too, they are such a beautiful combination. Love the presentation of your tarts, very pretty.

12. After Taste on April 2, 2012 at 9:32 am

These look delicious. I love blue cheese! Lovely to discover your blog.

13. Jen on April 2, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Wow, how gorgeous are these! I love how easy the pastry sounds… lol

14. Gastronomy Gal on April 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Nice idea. However, if you need to eat more fruit, my solution has always been a fruity cocktail. I swear my friend and I got our daily dose of fruit from cocktails when we were at uni.

15. Loveforfood on April 2, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Oh, these are so lovely, thank you

16. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on April 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

I love the way that you’ve put the whole pear in the centre of the tart! And I need to eat more fruit-vegetables I’m good at but fruit not so much πŸ˜›

17. Hannah on April 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

You could put blue cheese on cardboard and I’d swoon πŸ™‚ But I’d much prefer blue cheese in a tart with pear.

18. sugarpuffi on April 3, 2012 at 4:32 pm

such beautiful presentation!! the tart is simple enough for me to try haha

19. The Hungry Navigatrix on April 3, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Oh my goodness, blue cheese pastry! I’m in love with the concept. The tarts look wonderful.

20. InTolerantChef on April 3, 2012 at 9:34 pm

What a lovely combination of flavours indeed! And just so pretty too πŸ™‚

21. Tenille @ My Family Table on April 3, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Your blue cheese pastry is a brilliant idea. I’m a big fan of blue cheese and pear too πŸ™‚

22. nancy at good food matters on April 4, 2012 at 4:23 am

perfect pairing! and such a great looking dessert, too. brava on your original!

23. Iron Chef Shellie on April 4, 2012 at 10:45 am

Nice fanning skillz! I’m not sure how I feel about blue cheese, I go through phases, looks great though!

24. Nami | Just One Cookbook on April 4, 2012 at 5:03 pm

I honestly never guessed that pear and blue cheese go well! And in the form of tart! WOW I’m really intrigued and would absolutely love to try this! I like that the pear is little bit tilted and looks so beautiful!

25. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats on April 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Ooh I love desserts with pear, and pairing it with blue cheese? Genius Nic!! I know some might think Blue Cheese stinks, but I really love their musky strong taste. What I love most is the pear seated in the middle of the tarts. Perfect!! xoxo Jo

26. JJ @ 84thand3rd on April 9, 2012 at 7:24 pm

Yum – what a great combo! Love the idea of blue cheese in pastry!

27. […] Hop – Lemons April 12, 2012By Dining with a StudAs you guys know, I don’t eat as much fruit as I should. Although I have used lemons in desserts before, making Stud’s favourite Lemon […]

28. Alana on April 15, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Cheesey desserts, awwww yeah! This looks soooo good.