Bailey’s white chocolate entremet

March 21, 2012

I’m a sucker for reality TV. I’m also one of THE biggest fans of Lifestyle Food and any cooking show in general. SO, when Top Chef – the show that combines my love for reality and obsession for food – aired their spin-off show “Top Chef – Just Desserts”, I was more than a little excited. It is from Season 2 of said show that I have drawn my inspiration for March’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Layer upon Layer. One episode in particular, there was a challenge where the chef’s had to create an Entremet, a multi-layered mousse-based cake with various complementary flavours and varying textural contrasts.

As I watched it, ray of light shone in my lounge-room, right on my temple and the foodie Gods harmonised in unison “ahhhhhhhhhhh”. Ok that may not have happened, but I did turn to Stud like an excited 5 year old screaming “I need to make that!!!” As per usual, I got an “Ok honey” in a rather monotone voice.

A lot of though has gone in to this entremet. I even drew myself a little diagram to get my head around how it might look.

I wanted there to be a baileys element. Stud loves Baileys and I haven’t done anything Baileys flavoured for ages so being the bestest wife ever, I am dedicating this to him. Nawwwww ;) lol.

So, with the major component being the mousse, I decided to do a Bailey’s mousse. Not content with doing the regular chocolate outer, I wanted to make the mousse a white chocolate Bailey’s mousse. I feel like it’s a little more dramatic when you cut in to something white to reveal darker innards. Is that just me? Oh well, it’s my dessert and I’m going with it.

There’s always a cake element. Be that sponge, dacquoise, basic cake. I decided to go with a dacquoise as I had never made one before and was excited to try the texture.

Then there’s the cream. I want crunch. How can one incorporate crunch? Hmmmm. Praline!! YEAH BOI! So with limited resources, I actually used some crushed up Daim Bars and mixed them with some cream. Her presto – praline cream my friends :D

Entremet’s are no joke. They’re a lot of fiddling and a lot of planning, but they are well worth the effort in “oooh”’s and “ahhhhh”’s alone. Don’t even get me started on the flavour! Needless to say that I had one happy husband.

Thanks to the lovely Kitchen Crusader for hosting this months blog hop. If you’re a food blogger and you have a tres fab layered dessert, then what the hell are you waiting for? Join the hop!

Chocolate dacquoise

130 g almond powder
150 g icing sugar
2tbs cocoa powder
5 egg whites
100 g sugar

Mix together almond powder, 150g icing sugar and cocoa powder (sift).

Whisk egg white until soft peaks and gradually add 100g sugar until at meringue stage. Fold meringue in to almond mixture and bake at 180° for around 25 minutes, checking after 15 minutes though as ovens may vary.

Baileys white chocolate mousse

450g white chocolate, chopped or broken in small pieces – I used chips but they took a little while longer to melt
4 tablespoons butter
1 cup Baileys Irish Cream
3 tablespoons white granulated sugar
6 large egg yolks
Bowl of ice water
2 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped (Tip: very cold cream whips easier!)

Bring a saucepan with an inch of water in it to a simmer. Reduce the heat to low. Place the chocolate, butter,  and a 1/2-cup of the Bailey’s into a medium mixing bowl, and place over the hot water. When the chocolate and butter are melted, stir to combine, and remove from the heat.

In another heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk together the sugar, egg yolks, and rest of the Bailey’s. Cook, stirring constantly over a low heat for about 2-3 minutes.

When ready, whisk the egg mixture into the chocolate mixture. Once combined, place this bowl over the bowl of ice water to cool. Stir occasionally; mixture needs to be cool to the touch.

With a spatula, fold in the whipped cream, and set aside until ready to use (not in the fridge).

Praline cream

2 cups heavy cream
Roughly 5 large Daim Bars

Add Daim Bars to food processor and pulse until crumbed.

Whip cream to stiff peaks and fold through the Daim crumbs. Set aside.

Entremet assembly

Slice dacquoise in half and tidy up any rough edges.

Using the ring from a spring form tin (opened and extended, not tightened), place one of the slices of dacquoise in to the ring – there should be about a centimetre around the edges to allow for mousse.

Poor the mousse oven and allow it to go down the sides. You should have about a centimetre layer on top of the dacquoise.

Carefully place the Daim Bar cream over the mousse, ensuring not to let it sink down to the cake as the mousse is still not set. Should be the same circumference as the cake.

Pour another layer of mousse.

Repeat until you get to the top of the ring, the last layer must be mousse.

Leave in the fridge to set overnight.

45 Responses to Bailey’s white chocolate entremet

1. Mez on March 21, 2012 at 8:22 am

Oh.
    My.
    God.

This looks AMAZING!!!

Love the praline layer and the Bailley’s mousse.

xox

2. Hannah on March 21, 2012 at 8:50 am

Squee! This looks wonderful, and a great way to sneak in alcamahol :P

3. Mlitha on March 21, 2012 at 9:29 am

Omg that sounds like my ultimate dessert!

4. Spencer on March 21, 2012 at 11:28 am

It looks absolutely delicious! I would love to try some.

5. Monica (@gastromony) on March 21, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Great job :) Making a Jaconde Entremet was a Daring Bakers challenge once and it nearly did my head in. Worth the effort and yours looks delish!

6. Food Endeavours Blue Apocalypse on March 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This looks great, I love mousse and in a layered cake form, even better. Nice little twist with the praline cream too :)

7. catty on March 21, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Wow that is impressive! Anything with layers impresses me hehehehe. Looks soooooooooo good!

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 21, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Entrements are time consuming aren’t they! And hehe Stud sounds like Mr NQN. They should hang out together ;)

9. JJ @ 84thand3rd on March 21, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Quite a the accomplishment! Sounds delicious!

10. Lizzy (Good Things) on March 21, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Sounds fascinating! And looks delicious. Well done.

11. Amanda on March 21, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Oh my lord that looks sensational. And the diagram! Love it.

12. Winston on March 22, 2012 at 2:16 am

OMG. I can’t believe you actually rendered a 3D model just for your cake! But can I just say, the final product really justifies all the efforts you’ve put into this cake. I always enjoy cooking with some liquor/alcohol because I get to steal a sip (or two, or three) while I cook hehe. The interesting layers (covered in white) really does remind me of Zumbo’s V8 cake in some ways. LOVELY!

13. Joanna @ Chic & Gorgeous Treats on March 22, 2012 at 10:00 am

This is heaven all in one bite Nic!! Awesome.. and there’s baileys too.. YUMMMM.. looks like 2 great minds think alike eh? hehehe.. I am just drooling.. xoxo

14. review on March 22, 2012 at 1:49 pm

yum! can i have a slice?:D

15. Moya on March 22, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Love that you used Daim bars as the praline! I also am a big fan of Bailey’s and you have got my “oooh’s” and “ahhh’s” with this dessert! :)

16. tania@mykitchenstories on March 22, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Wow, its a work of love. What a great entement

17. muppy on March 22, 2012 at 8:20 pm

mmmmmm i’m impressed. and i am glad to here i’m not the only one obsessed with cooking shows!

18. Joanne on March 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Okay now I’M screaming I NEED TO MAKE THAT!!! Looks amazing! Each layer more delicious than the next!

19. nancy at good food matters on March 23, 2012 at 12:58 am

You’ve outdone yourself with this dessert. Gorgeous Gorgeous
    Inspiring.

20. anh@anhsfoodblog.com on March 23, 2012 at 7:57 am

I want a piece of this cake, badly! It looks so delicious.

21. Nami | Just One Cookbook on March 23, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I drop everything if I can have a piece of that gorgeous white chocolate cake! All the flavors in the layers look a-mazing!

22. Vintage Macaroon on March 23, 2012 at 2:31 pm

That’s awesome!!! I’m inspired.

23. Nic on March 23, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Wow! This looks amazing!

24. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake on March 24, 2012 at 5:45 am

Oh my. I feel like I’ve just gained some pounds just by looking at that! ;)
    But they would sure be worth it. The daim alone… mmmmh

25. Trish on March 24, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Um. This looks hard. I love it. Can I do it? probably not. Can you send some in the post? I hope so…
    T

26. msihua on March 24, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Man! I would have gone completely overboard with the Baileys! Lol

27. crevette on March 25, 2012 at 3:27 am

It look like delicious!

28. Dolly on March 25, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Like your stud, i loveeee baileys…

I even make my own!! OMG i wihs i could get a slice right NOW!

29. Jacqui on March 25, 2012 at 5:50 pm

waaaaah heart attack just looking at that!! But Im ok with that, that looks seriously good – Im willing to risk the heart problems lol that must have taken some serious assembling! Well done!

30. SarahKate@Mi Casa-Su Casa on March 25, 2012 at 8:09 pm

I love Top Chef and I love Baileys! This looks seriously impressive. Bet it tasted even better than it looks.

31. thelittleloaf on March 26, 2012 at 6:30 pm

Oh my, this looks utterly incredible! Cookery programmes are my all time favourite thing to watch on TV (except maybe Mad Men) so I understand your excitement.

Would love a slice of this right now – all those layers are amazing :-)

32. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on March 27, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Dear Nic,

I’m not ashamed to admit that I prefer white to dark chocolate and this is one slice of cake that I would love to try.

33. Hotly Spiced on March 27, 2012 at 8:16 pm

What a beautiful looking layer cake. It looks moist, full of flavour and absolutely delicious. xx

34. Loveforfood on March 27, 2012 at 11:41 pm

I love your photos and your recipes they want me to get up right now and try them

35. JasmyneTea on March 28, 2012 at 6:35 am

Daim! What a great idea :) Looks like an awesome cake, I’m sure you did your husband proud!

36. Tanantha on March 28, 2012 at 7:03 am

Hey Nic, this sounds really good! layer after layer..hmm..
    make me mouth water as just thinking of it. I’ve got inspired by watching the show too haha.

37. Jennifer (Delicieux) on March 28, 2012 at 10:17 am

Nic, you did a fabulous job of your entremet! My fiance has been pestering me to make an entremet since watching Top Chef Just Desserts. By the way, what are Daim bars? I’ve never heard of them.

38. Anna Johnston on March 28, 2012 at 12:39 pm

OMG! Amazing you are! I am freakin starving for this right now. Such a great job you’ve done! :)

39. Anna@ The Littlest Anchovy on March 28, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I am well impressed with this Nic! Wow I couldnt even imagine what it would look like if I tried this. Looks awesome!

40. Choc Chip Uru on March 28, 2012 at 5:31 pm

This sounds and looks out of this world!
    What a decadent dessert :D

41. Alana on March 29, 2012 at 2:39 pm

I love that you drew a little diagram to conceptualise this! You’ve managed to combine two of my favourite things on one plate so naturally I’m drooling all over my keyboard right now.

42. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on March 29, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I’m a sucker for reality TV shows too!!! All shows about food is my best friend lol and i love love love Top Chef – Just Desserts!!! I wonder when we’ll get our own type of dessert show like Australia’s Greatest Baker or something like that hahaha

This is an amazing cake!!! It’s so yummy and i love all the layers ~

43. InTolerantChef on March 29, 2012 at 9:47 pm

Definitely the bestest wife ever! I bet you earnt lots of brownie points with this fabulous dessert, yummo!

44. Christie @ Fig & Cherry on March 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Wow! Just fantastic. This looks so soft and dreamy!

45. Karen on April 2, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Mmmm it looks amazing! Entremets are so fun to make!