SOY Japanese Restaurant – Bondi

January 3, 2012

Its no secret that Stud and I are massive Japanese fans. Of all cuisines, its def our fave 🙂 so fresh, reasonably healthy (depending on what you order of course) and just so damn tasty!! So when we were out in Bondi on the hottest day in summer to date (well, to that date anyway), preparing ourselves for the Sculptures by the Sea, we wanted something filling yet light enough that I wouldn’t get a stitch – I’m prone to stitches post meal, but that’s another story. Anyway, we walked past SOY and thought it looked really cool, had a quick glance at the menu and we were sold.

We arrived at around 12pm and it was pretty dead. Really just a few other diners and us. It looked like we missed the rush though as about 25mins later, the place was buzzing and people were waiting for a table. Bwahahahaha suckaaaaaas!!

The decor is simple yet really funky and I luuuuuurved these light shades. Want!!

We didn’t go too hardcore when ordering (boooo) because we knew 1. it was lunch and 2. I’m prone to stitches. Lol *sigh*

Up first had to be the Pan Fried Pork Gyoza ($12). Pan fried seems to be a rarity these days so def had to order these babies. They were one of the best gyozas we’ve had in a long time! Perfectly crispy and so flavoursome!

Next we ordered the kingfish carpaccio with Japanese plum shizo ($13). The plum shizo gave it such an interesting flavour and the kingfish was uber fresh.

Our favourite sushi roll is salmon avocado so this was next on the hit list ($14). Perfectly fresh and I do love a good inside out roll 🙂

Normally, we order beef tataki as a starter but when we noticed it on the sushi roll menu – rolled with cucumber, topped with flamed wagyu sliced and special sweet chilli sauce ($15) – we decided to forgo the entree for this and I’m well glad that we did. It was actually a lot spicier than expected but it was really tasty. A def must order!

I’d love to go back to SOY to try out more of the menu and perhaps with a bigger group (more people = more food yo!). The staff were great and the food was fantastic!!

41 Responses to SOY Japanese Restaurant – Bondi

1. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on January 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Dear Nic,

The kingfish carparccio looks delicious and that plum sauce would be something more nouveau. Wishing you guys a great 2012!

2. Amystown on January 3, 2012 at 11:50 am

Yum! Thats looks fantastic! Now im craving sushi…

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on January 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm

What a great find! I haven’t been to Bondi in ages. And yes agreed that the best tactic to try more food is to bring more people! 🙂

4. EatPlayShop on January 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm

This looks really, really good! The Kingfish Carparccio and the rolls are look super delish!

5. Crsif on January 3, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Yum. Yum. Yum. Twice in one week 🙂

Can’t wait till Friday now….

X

6. Tenille @ My Family Table on January 3, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Those gyoza look awesome and so does the tataki. Yum!

7. Miss Piggy on January 3, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Wow,this place looks really great. You need to go back when no walking is involved me thinks!

8. Claire @ Claire K Creations on January 3, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Yum. It looks like they had very generous portions. Gyoza are my very favourite Japanese food!

9. JasmyneTea on January 3, 2012 at 10:47 pm

The pan-fried pork gyoza is calling my name… A shame you’re prone to stitches, that must suck when you go to a restaurant and you’ve parked far away!

10. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on January 4, 2012 at 1:52 am

I don’t think I’ve gone to Bondi beach before, last time we were in Sydney I chose to go to Manly instead now i wish i went to Bondi instead 🙂 the food looks great!

11. betty on January 4, 2012 at 8:37 am

ooo id love to try this place out (i love pan fried gyoza too!!)
    love jap for the healthy side of it (like you said, depends on what you order) but i reckon for all the healthy stuff you order you’re entitled to some unhealthy dishes as well, balance 😀

12. Culinary Collage on January 4, 2012 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for stopping by my blog from half way around the world….another great thing about the internet. Your site is beautiful! Happy New Year to you and your stud!!!

13. Phuoc'n Delicious on January 4, 2012 at 12:56 pm

The kingfish carpaccio looks amazing and so fresh

14. joey@FoodiePop on January 4, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I find most of the eateries in Bondi underwhelming, but this looks decent, and I do love Japanese food!

15. Jenny @ Ichigo Shortcake on January 4, 2012 at 11:50 pm

OMG I’m drooling at the kingfish carpaccio!! The sushis look fantastic too. 😀 I didn’t get a chance to go to Bondi last time, I wish I did now!

16. muppy on January 5, 2012 at 8:11 am

wow that looks so delicious and perfect for a lunch, my 4 year old would LOVE this, she can eat japanese like no other 😉

17. Hannah on January 5, 2012 at 1:22 pm

That kingfish dish looks amazing! But the real question is do they serve black sesame ice cream? 😛

18. msihua on January 5, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Japanese food is so good. I could literally eat it for every meal and every day 🙂

19. Amanda on January 5, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Oh, I was just in the mood for a Japanese feed today, but was outvoted by the husband and son. That kingfish carpaccio looks divine. Democracy stinks some times.

20. Joanne on January 5, 2012 at 11:12 pm

I LOVE Japanese food also…especially sushi. This place sounds awesome!

21. beti on January 6, 2012 at 4:19 am

everything looks delicious, japanese food and be great but this restaurant seems to have delicious food

22. Melanie @ Melanie Cooks on January 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

Kingfish carpaccio looks like the kind of dish I’d love to try!

23. Winston on January 8, 2012 at 2:55 am

Oh man… Everything looks and sounds amazing! Really fresh flavours and presentation, love ittt. I’m a huge fan of Jap cuisine too, there’s just nothing like it. And so healthy too (depending on what you order, I guess). Will definitely look out for this place next time I’m up in Sydney. Yay! =D

24. john@heneedsfood on January 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Ooh those lights would look good in my loungeroom! If I’m in Bondi stuck for where to eat I’ll just have to look this place up

25. InTolerant Chef on January 8, 2012 at 5:07 pm

Looks gooood! Hope the stitchs are nothing serious?

26. Hotly Spiced on January 9, 2012 at 9:58 am

The food looks so pretty. And yes, when it’s just two of you dining, you don’t get to experience too much of what’s on offer but hey, it gives you a great excuse re-visit.

27. Corinne @ Gourmantic on January 9, 2012 at 5:33 pm

We walked past it on the weekend and thought it would be a nice place to eat. Food looks good and the kingfish is making me hungry!

28. Joanna @ Chic&Gorgeous Treats on January 10, 2012 at 10:59 am

I am a huge fan of Jap food too. I can’t wait wait to be back in Sydney and go on a food splurge and enjoy the cool breeze at Circular Quay. Don’t know why, but I kindna enjoy hanging out there. Am bookmarking this place so I get to try it out. When I am down in Syd, hopefully we get to meet up. Till then.. Happy New Year!! xoxo

29. sugarpuffi on January 10, 2012 at 11:20 am

nawww i like how they used a love heart in place of an ‘o’ 😀 the kingfish carpaccio looks awesome

30. Nami | Just One Cookbook on January 10, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I can already tell this place is pretty decent because of the quality of raw fish and rolls are not huge trying for “quantity”. Carpaccio looks delicious and overall this place sounds great!!

31. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake on January 10, 2012 at 8:14 pm

Ha! Obviously you have had a bit more luck with the Gyozas this time! Good for you! Last time I have had them fried was at a Wagamama it London along with hoisin-cherry sauce and while the sauce was a hit, the gyozas were rather ‘meh’.

And like Nami said, the food looks amazingly fresh and I am suprised how relatively low in price the dishes are (for decent Japanese cuisine but maybe it is just because the prices here a hellish).

And the beef tataki rolls make me want to have some NOW! 😉

Cheers,
    Tobias

32. Katherine Martinelli on January 11, 2012 at 6:46 am

This restaurant looks great! Wish it was closer to me 😉 I also love Japanese food!!

33. Anna@ The Littlest Anchovy on January 11, 2012 at 8:01 am

LOVE those lights too! I am a sucker for some good gyoza so I think I am happy to trek over the bridge for this place 🙂

34. nancy at good food matters on January 12, 2012 at 6:29 am

I’d enjoy everything you had there—fantastic. The nicely browned pan-seared gyozas look exceptional, and that flamed wagyu beef tataki–wow!

35. Kiran @ KiranTarun.com on January 13, 2012 at 10:38 am

I need to get out of my element and try more Japanese foods 🙂

36. catty on January 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

We also love Japanese but we dont head out Bondi way too often. This looks pretty good though! Love all those rolls !

37. Food Wine Sleep on January 17, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Yummo food looks great – new Japanese just opened in Erko village which you might like to try. Haven’t been there yet so can’t comment on it

38. Anita on January 28, 2012 at 4:49 pm

You got me with the pork gyoza. Yummo! Great photos, they’re super tempting.

39. Vivian - vxdollface on February 1, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Great prices for a Japanese place in Bondi too!

40. Amy on February 2, 2012 at 8:45 am

Yay! More good Japanese food comes to Bondi! I might try this place on the weekend. x

41. Julie on February 5, 2012 at 6:24 pm

OMG the food looks so good. I saw the kingfish and declared I must go 😀