Sushi Hon – Sydney Westfield

December 27, 2011

Santa has come and gone for another year and I hope all of you had a wonderful day with family, friends, food, and Michael Buble (of course).

Stud and I did the usual family lunch, stuffed ourselves silly and then came home to watch Love Actually and have toast for dinner lol. Boxing Day was spent in the city. First time ever for both of us actually braving the Boxing Day sales. Never. Again! It was a nice day out but not massively relaxing haha.

We did manage to slip in a quick lunch at Sushi Hon as Stud was craving a Japo fix. I didn’t actually realise until after but apparently, Sushi Hon has the longest sushi train in the southern hemisphere. I have to say, it didn’t look to massive when we were there but we were seated right at the front so didn’t go in too far.

Anyway, here’s a few of the dishes we grabbed.

Studs fave was the soft shell crab and I loved the California with the seared Salmon on the outside. Everything was so fresh and delicious although I did notice that there was no gyoza on the train so ordered one from the kitchen. I’m so sorry but I didn’t get a pic of it but I have to say, it was really disappointing. It was covered in oil, fell apart as soon as I picked it up and really lacked in flavour. IT was a shame to end on such a note but the actual sushi train is well worth a try.

At a little over $60, its not the cheapest sushi train for what you get but was good to satisfy a craving and had a very NY vibe to it.

0 Responses to Sushi Hon – Sydney Westfield

1. Joanne on December 27, 2011 at 10:07 pm

Now I’m craving sushi! This all looks so tasty!

2. OohLookBel on December 27, 2011 at 10:15 pm

It’s not Christmas without a screening of Love Actually and being trampled in the sales – glad you survived! Interesting that Sushi Hon has ‘Sushi Roll’ insignia on the plates (isn’t that the takeaway place?). The dishes look very nice.

3. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on December 28, 2011 at 2:48 am

That sushi looks great! I’m hungry now 🙂 i wanna have sushi too haven’t had sushi for a while ~ Happy Holidays 🙂 gonna try Sushi Hon when i come to Sydney grrr so many reasons that make me wanna go to Sydney again lol

4. Christie @ Fig & Cherry on December 28, 2011 at 8:25 am

That does sound a bit expensive, but the seared tuna looks lovely.

5. Iron Chef Shellie on December 28, 2011 at 9:34 am

Oh sushi train… I need to drag Hamish to one of these, but his excuse is he only likes my sushi…hmmm.

Damn now I want sushi but I’m suck maning the office/shop by myself! x

6. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake on December 28, 2011 at 11:00 am

Nothing says Christmas more than Mickey Bubbles, amirite? ;))

All the dishes you have picked look just too appetising! Too bad those sushi trains really can become quite pricey, especially because it is easy to lose track of the total sum. Too bad the gyozas were such a disappointment. 🙁

Cheers,
    Tobias

7. Adrian (Food Rehab) on December 29, 2011 at 9:09 am

Like the sounds of this place…gotta love a good sushi train. Oh and Merry Christmas!!!

8. muppy on December 29, 2011 at 11:14 am

now i feel like sushi! yum 🙂
    hope you had a great christmas too!

9. EatPlayShop on December 29, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Love me a good sushi train! Melbourne lacks a great sushi train place 🙁

10. john@heneedsfood on December 29, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I’ve heard from a few people that the sushi here is pretty good. I’m yet to give it a go myself. Maybe after the busy season when things settle and less people are in town

11. Nami | Just One Cookbook on December 29, 2011 at 8:56 pm

It’s always fun to see Japanese restaurant/food reviews! Unfortunately you live in different country so I can’t visit the same restaurant, but I know where to check for reviews when I’m in Sydney! Tataki with sesame seeds is very interesting!

12. nancy at good food matters on December 30, 2011 at 8:49 am

that one with seared salmon on the outside—yes, that’s the one I would have chosen. looks quite spectacular!

13. Jennifer (Delicieux) on December 30, 2011 at 7:48 pm

That’s so funny you watched Love Actually, we watched it on Christmas eve. I love that movie and it always gets me in the mood for Christmas.

I love sushi train, it’s always so fun to see all of the delicious dishes go past. Even though I can’t eat half of them, half the fun to me is looking at what is available.

Happy New Year Nic. Best wishes for 2012, especially for your upcoming wedding.

14. InTolerant Chef on December 31, 2011 at 8:04 am

I don’t go to our local sushi train anymore, another plain sushi joint opened up nearby bringing competition, and after some hideous mushy mouthfuls, I’m convinced sushi train has been freezing their leftovera to save money- yuck! Your sushi looks amazingly fresh, and delicious- yumm!
    Hope you got some great bargins in the sales! Happy New Year!

15. Hotly Spiced on December 31, 2011 at 9:02 am

We watched Love Actually as well. Such a great movie. I never attend the sales – just can’t stand the crowds.

16. Dolly on December 31, 2011 at 10:01 am

yum.. i have a deep love for fired salmon.. yum.

Happy new year.. keep up the good work 😛

17. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 31, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I had read that about the sushi train too! We have an issue with sushi trains though-Mr NQN can never get full enough from them so we don’t tend to go to them. But I love them. Happy New Year Nic! 🙂

18. Claire @ Claire K Creations on January 1, 2012 at 11:19 am

I wish I had a food court like that in Brisbane. My only issue was trying to decide what to have! We have the odd good sushi place down here but they are scarce.