Guilt-free chocolate fudge cake

November 23, 2011

As you may or may not know, Stud and I have been on a health kick in the lead up to our wedding. We have swapped our ice cream and ice magic desserts for strawberries and yoghurt and hey, we’re ok with that (for now ;)) but when you are going somewhere like a picnic, all you can think about is brownies or cookies or some other kind of crazy good but unhealthy dessert that’s reasonably portable.
So I turned to google (as you do) and up came a “Guilt-free chocolate fudge cake”. Guilt free chocolate fudge? Yeah whatever! I shouted at taste.com.au but after reading the ingredients, I found out why. Tofu! Hmmmm – maybe if I don’t tell anyone there’s tofu in it, they might like it upon first bite and then not care? Its worth a shot for some low cal cake and hey if it doesn’t work, lesson learned.

The cake itself is actually pretty easy to make. Blender, whisker, combine, done! A sneaky spoonful of the cake batter revealed that yes, you can taste the tofu. Crap! Will everyone notice? Maybe I will wait until its baked and then give Stud a bit. Once I have his reaction, I will tell him whats in it.
So I can safely say that this cake sits somewhere in the middle. I liked it, although could highly tell that it was low fat as it lacked a lot of the chocolateyness (yeah, it’s a word. What?) of a “normal” cake, Stud liked his first bite but then decided at the picnic that he wasn’t a fan as it wasnt hardcore enough for him (chocolate wise), my 1 ½ yr old godson ploughed in to it and seemed happy, and another friend ate it, didn’t like it and when it was in his mouth and I mentioned tofu, ran to the bin to spit it out. WOW! Tough crowd.
Anyway, give it a go, cant hurt and will fill an hour or so of your time if you’re bored 🙂

Ingredients serves 8

• Vegetable oil spray, to grease
  • 200g silken firm tofu, drained
  • 100g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
  • 2 egg yolks
  • 2 tsp vanilla essence
  • 80g 70% cocoa dark chocolate, melted
  • 50g (1/3 cup) plain flour, sifted
  • 1 tbs self-raising flour, sifted
  • 4 eggwhites

Preheat oven to 160°C. Spray a round 20cm cake tin with vegetable oil. Line base and sides with non-stick baking paper.

Process tofu, sugar, egg yolks and vanilla in a food processor until smooth. Add chocolate and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Fold in combined flour.

Beat eggwhites with an electric beater in a clean, dry bowl until soft peaks form. Fold one-third of the eggwhite into chocolate mixture with a large metal spoon until just combined. Repeat, in two more batches, with remaining eggwhite. Spoon cake mixture into prepared pan and smooth surface. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Set aside in pan to cool.

Cut cake into slices and serve

13 Responses to Guilt-free chocolate fudge cake

1. JJ @ 84thand3rd on November 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

Well, you had to give it a go! The tofu really just seems to take the place of butter or oil – to kick up the chocolate I’d add cocoa powder in addition to (or instead of) the melted stuff – less calories, better for you and tends to be more chocolate-y! It looks like brownies – now I want brownies, damn.

2. sugarpuffi on November 23, 2011 at 2:53 pm

tofu?! wow i wouldve never thought!

3. catty on November 23, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Wow tofu????? Sounds scary in a chocolate dessert and believe me I like tofu! I’m funny about dieting, I hate ruining good food with low fat options so I would rather have less of the real thing instead, so it’s like a real treat 🙂

4. Claire @ Claire K Creations on November 23, 2011 at 4:17 pm

I’ve seen silken tofu in a few low-cal recipes. I think I’d probably be with stud on that one though… need chocolatiness!

5. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on November 23, 2011 at 4:47 pm

Tofu is such an under rated ingredient when in actual fact it is one of the most flexible things to cook with because of its relatively bland flavour. Best of all it is so healthy and can be so delicious with the right recipes.

6. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on November 23, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Great sounding recipe! I went to a cooking class where they used the soy bean skins that they usually throw out. The cake was delicious! 🙂

7. Joanne on November 23, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Guilt free ALWAYS sounds good to me! I’ve been wanting to hide tofu in a baked good but am always a little unsure of how it will turn out. These are fudgy masterpieces!

8. Joanna @ Chic&Gorgeous Treats on November 23, 2011 at 11:28 pm

Congratulations Nic! I hope you will share some of your wedding photos in your blog.. I’m sure you must be excited and looking forward to your big day. Right now, I really love the sound of your guilt free fudge cake. I really don’t mind swapping some sinful treats for these as long they satisfy my cravings.. LOL.. Btw, you and Stud will definitely enjoy the food in San Fran. I have so many more to do list for SF and will definitely like to go back next year. Have a good week ahead!! Hugggss, Jo

9. Daisy @ Nevertoosweet on November 30, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I would have never known you used tofu! WOW! no wonder it’s guilt free 🙂 definitely going to try this recipe!! lol i LOVE guilt free recipes hehe i tend to eat twice as much though lol

10. Lexi on December 1, 2011 at 9:30 am

I just know my husband would protest!
    Lexi xx
    FASHION: Glitter & Pearls
    WEDDINGS: Glitter Weddings

11. beti on December 5, 2011 at 2:07 pm

it looks so moist, rich and delicious… perfect

12. William Notherdinger on December 10, 2011 at 5:22 am

Haven’t eated chocolate for some time but that image made water in my mouth hehhe 😀

13. Jacqui on August 21, 2012 at 10:07 pm

I tried choc mousse made with tofu before as well – gave it to S, he thought it was ok but there was something not quite right with it. Gave it to a greedy friend who ate it all lol when I told him it had tofu in it he said he noticed something diff but ate it anyway haha

I probs wouldnt make it again, but at least know now!