Easy peasy apple tart

November 21, 2011

To go with the stuffed squid I made one night, I wanted an easy dessert to use some of the apples we had. I thought crumble, I thought pie, but then settled on a light apple tart that couldn’t be easier.

2 granny smith apples (you can peel them if you like but I think the green looks pretty)
1 sheet bought butter puff pastry
Melted butter
Vanilla bean ice-cream, to serve

Preheat oven to 180°c.
Thaw out pastry sheet and cut a circle (I used a dinner plate as a guide but you could even use tea cups and make individual desserts). Brush circle with butter and fork places that will be covered by apple.
Core apple, cut in half and slice thinly. Brush apples lightly with lime juice for a bit of flavour and to prevent browning. Arrange apples as desired on the puff pastry, brush with a little more butter and sprinkle with raw sugar and place in the oven until pastry has browned and risen, and sugar has caramelised.

Serve with some vanilla bean ice cream.

18 Responses to Easy peasy apple tart

1. Bel | Ooh Look on November 21, 2011 at 11:39 am

That tart looks so pretty with its beautiful arrangement of the thin apple slices. Can’t believe it’s so simple to make, either.

2. Phuoc'n Delicious on November 21, 2011 at 3:15 pm

This is so pretty! I love simple yet tasty desserts. I’d imagine myself pouring custard all over this and devouring it. Oh my!

3. Nami | Just One Cookbook on November 21, 2011 at 7:09 pm

This is so beautiful. I’ve never sliced apples this thin and make an apple tart before. My baking level ends at using puff pastry sheet and I can’t wait to slice apple like this and make a beautiful tart myself. Thanks for sharing!

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on November 21, 2011 at 7:40 pm

This was one of the first tarts I ever made. I felt so accomplished after I made it, plus it was just so delicious! 🙂

5. nancy at good food matters on November 21, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I like to leave the peel on, too—it is prettier, and adds more flavor. sometimes the simplest things are the best!

6. Simon Food Favourites on November 21, 2011 at 11:29 pm

looks great. perhaps just as good as Flour and Stone bakery 🙂

7. angela@spinachtiger on November 22, 2011 at 6:58 am

That looks way too pretty to be that easy, cut it does look easy. Stunning presentation.

8. Christie @ Fig & Cherry on November 22, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love using granny smith’s for tarts too – the sour taste offsets the butter and sugar beautifully. Your apple slicing is very impressive – so thin and neat!

9. betty on November 22, 2011 at 9:23 am

oh man- this is so easy i love it

10. Christy on November 22, 2011 at 11:41 am

Oh my, your apple tart looks pretty-tasty too! (pun intended)
    Heavenly, the layers of slices of apple are just so enticing!:D

11. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on November 22, 2011 at 11:56 am

Yay, I love easy things that taste and look good too 🙂 🙂

12. anh@anhsfoodblog.com on November 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

I love easy recipe like this! Since I can satisfy my sweet tooth any time :>

13. Hannah on November 22, 2011 at 1:11 pm

Oh, I need your mad skillz. My “easy dessert” tends to be sitting with a jar of peanut butter in one hand and Lindt 85% squares as a scooping device in the other 😛

14. msihua on November 22, 2011 at 6:04 pm

That looks friggin amazing!! So beautiful and glamourous and not “easy” at all to me!!

15. Corinne @ Gourmantic on November 22, 2011 at 7:42 pm

For a tart, it looks healthy and light… with a pretty pattern!

16. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy on November 22, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Such a beautiful tart! I love finding easy to make dishes using great ingredients. Fantastic

17. Jennifer (Delicieux) on November 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Your tart is gorgeous Nic!!! I love the beautiful apple arrangement. You can’t beat puff pastry and apples for a delicious dessert.

18. Vivian - vxdollface on November 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm

So much slicing, must’ve taken a while! Looks lovely though, and I agree with leaving the green on 🙂