Antipasto cob – The perfect picnic lunch

November 8, 2011

Sydney is pretty awesome at the moment. The sun is shining, the weather is sweet….makes you wanna move….your dancin’ feet yeah.

Wait. Side tracked singing away to myself.

The weather has been beautiful for the past few days and is a perfect time for a picnic. Ariane suggested we all head to Bicentenary Park so the boys could have a bit of a kick around and we could have a girly chat on the grass.

About a million recipes went through my mind, but one had stuck since I made it a couple of years ago when Stud and I were living over at Cammeray. We had a perfect little Artisan Bakery up the street and would grab a batard (or five) every weekend but when all they had was a cob, I tried my hand at some layering with some beautifully char grilled veg and thinly sliced meat.

This time, with such a busy weekend, I didn’t have time to grill my own vegetables so grabbed a few jarred and also pan fried a couple but this recipe is really a chuck-everything-in type of recipe so you can alter it to your taste.

It looks pretty impressive when you cut in to it but beware, it can get a little messy. I was cutting ours in to eight pieces so that if we wanted, we could have two each (I might have!) or you could just have a smaller on but the smaller the pieces, the harder it is to keep it all together while you eat. Napkins needed, use them!

1 cob loaf
1 jar chargrilled peppers
1 jar char grilled eggplant
1 jar caramelised onion
1 jar sundried tomatoes
50 grams pastrami
50 grams pepperoni
2 portobello mushrooms
2 zucchini
1 block reduced pat fetta
1 tbs olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

Heat oven to 180° and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.

Slice zucchini lenthways (in strips) , roughly about 2-3mm thick but again, this is to your taste. It just cooks quicker this way. Place on lined tray and season with salt and pepper. Bake in over until tender.

Heat small pan on a high heat and add oil. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. If you like, you can throw some butter in for flavour at this point and saute until cooked to your liking.

Allow mushrooms and zucchini to cool slightly (room temp is fine).

Slice top off cob loaf and hollow out (reserve bread innards for another day as you can use them for breadcrumbs).

Now you can start layering! smear some caramelised onion over the base, slice fetta and place in cob. Add mushrooms, capsicum, pastrami, pepperoni, zucchini, eggplant and sundried tomatoes.

Smear a little more caramelised onions on the inside of the cob “lid” and place it on top. At this stage you can weight it down with a plate and pop it in the fridge until you need it. This will help it set slightly before cutting in to it.

25 Responses to Antipasto cob – The perfect picnic lunch

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on November 8, 2011 at 11:29 am

Ooh I love this bread! It has a great filling to bread ratio! 🙂

2. Iron Chef Shellie on November 8, 2011 at 1:06 pm

I have ALWAYS wanted to make one of these but since I always go on picnics with some vegetarians I never know what to do! I MUST MAKE ONE this summer!! Looks fantastic!

3. Adrian (Food Rehab) on November 8, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Now this is a picnic I’d want to attend! Great idea with eggplant- yuuurm!

4. Jennifer (Delicieux) on November 9, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Yum!!!! I should have done something like this when we went on our picnic last week!! I love the colours of all the different layers!

5. Chopinand @ ChopinandMysaucepan on November 9, 2011 at 3:16 pm

Very creative Nic. I might just be inclined to use it as my own edible bowl for my chicken curry for a picnic on the lawn! 🙂

6. sugarpuffi on November 9, 2011 at 3:17 pm

wow this looks delicious!

7. Julie on November 9, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Awesome picnic food, love the idea 🙂

8. hungryandfrozen on November 9, 2011 at 8:18 pm

That filling sounds amazingly good! Enjoy all the lovely weather 🙂

9. JasmyneTea on November 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Now that is one attractive cob loaf! Well done 🙂

10. msihua on November 9, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Oh I do so want to try one of these! But I’m starting a new diet!! BOO!

11. Joanne on November 9, 2011 at 11:27 pm

I am in LOVE with this sandwich. Seriously stuffed perfect picnic food!

12. Tanantha on November 10, 2011 at 6:57 am

wow this idea is genius and it looks pretty too! I love this time time of year and thanks goodness it hasn;t rained here for a week!

13. Gastronomous Anonymous on November 10, 2011 at 9:39 am

OMG!!that looks fantastic! what a perfect idea for a picnic and so pretty too!

14. catty on November 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm

OMG that is a GENIUS idea! It’s like a sandwich only a BILLION times cooler!! Great great great idea 🙂

15. Nami | Just One Cookbook on November 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Like everyone else, I have to start with OMG! Because really, OMG! This is really super cool. I’ve never seen any sandwich like this. What a perfect way to feed a couple of people..4-6 servings? I want to buy caramelized onion spread. This sandwich is phenomenal! Bookmarked!

16. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy on November 10, 2011 at 7:47 pm

Oh I love this, it is perfect and will be perfect for the picnic I am going on this weekend! Is the bakery in Cammeray, Victoire? If so, I love that place 🙂

17. muppy on November 10, 2011 at 9:40 pm

this looks amazing – i’m so doing it!! antipasto has to be close to the top of my list of favourite things, especially when it involves delicious bread and picnics – my happy place 😀

18. nancy at good food matters on November 11, 2011 at 12:02 am

the messier the better! terrific looking layers of caramelized veggies, cheese, and meat in that bread. I love reading about the nice picnic weather Down Under–as we head into winter here.

19. betty on November 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

this looks great! love the idea of hollowing out the cob for the ingredients

20. Erin@TheFoodMentalist on November 11, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Yum! Looks fantastic!

21. Melanie @ Melanie Cooks on November 12, 2011 at 12:02 am

That’s a very unique picnic dish, and looks so good!

22. Hotly Spiced on November 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

That looks incredible. What a fabulous lunch. I’ll definitely be using this recipe. You are right – just perfect for the picnic season.

23. Vivian - vxdollface on November 14, 2011 at 9:26 pm

What a great recipe! Very carb friendly on the tummy fat haha

24. Claire @ Claire K Creations on November 15, 2011 at 2:47 pm

It’s so pretty! At least all the filling is contained while you transport it and it can’t dry out like a regular sandwich.

25. celia on November 19, 2011 at 6:12 am

That looks like spectacular picnic food, Nic! Love the layers…