Heritage Court – Hurstville

September 21, 2011

With more than a couple food deal vouchers under my belt, it was time to start making reservations. As instructed by Stud, I booked in order of purchasing so our first stop was Heritage Court Restaurant in Hurstville. Purchased partly because it was so close to us that it was stupid not to buy it and partly because it was five courses for two people for only $59 including a glass of wine.

Without checking the address, I had in my mind where I thought the restaurant was and once in the car and on our way, I realised I was wrong. Really wrong! Heritage Court is a duplex terrace house on a Hurstville side street. They’ve knocked out the “duplex” wall to make this one large restaurant at the front and presumably the kitchen/bathrooms/etc out the back.

When you walk in you definitely feel like you are in someone’s home…complete with plasma TV mounted on the wall playing Indiana Jones (via teletext). This is one thing that Stud and I aren’t fans of – TV’s in restaurants. In our opinion, you go out for a nice meal to escape your home and relax with whatever company you choose. I feel like having a TV in the restaurant defeats that purpose and you might as well have got take-away and eaten it on the couch in front of the tele!

I will say though, that the staff were very friendly and welcoming. Sometimes when you have a voucher, you can tend to get treated a little second rate but these guys were great. No sooner had we sat down and ordered our wine that our first course was brought to the table, Garlic Bread and Soup of the Day. Today’s soup happened to be pumpkin. My most favourite of all soups 🙂 The soup was nice although did need a little salt and pepper. The garlic bread was a good dipper.

Next up were the Bakes Scallops. Tasty in theory however they were covered in mayonnaise and pretty overcooked so any scallop flavour was killed off by the tangy sweetness of very creamy store bought (Kraft if my palate serves me correctly lol) mayo.

Our original menu stated that our third course was a Japanese Crab Meat and Avocado Salad. There was a salad, it had seaweed hence the “Japanese” element (??) and there was avocado. I don’t recall any crab meat and it wasn’t actually until writing this review that I saw the crab meat in the menu as when it was put in front of us they just said “Japanese salad”. Perhaps all the crabs ran away?

Our mains were surprising. On a rectangular platter, we were presented with a Char-grilled Petit Mignon with mash and steamed veg and a Grilled Ocean Perch with white sauce and chips. Now this is hard to review. They were both actually really nice, just unexpected for our Asian restaurant surroundings. The fish was cooked well although the white sauce was a little random. The meat was very tender and the mash was velvety smooth.

The dessert of the day was a peach panna cotta. I actually had to swap desserts with Stud for photo purposes as my peach got swamped and his was nicely sticking out the top. Stud had one mouthful and pushed his away. It wasn’t really a good panna cotta. It wasn’t wobbly in the slightest, was quite hard actually and very grainy. I consumed mine and Stud’s and am ashamed to admit this as it really wasn’t that great, I was just hungry lol.

When we were finished and asked for the bill (Stud ordered a couple of beers that weren’t in the offer), the waitress brought us over a second deal to be offered to diners who had used the first deal. This one was very similar to the first so when the waitress came back to ask if we would like to take it, I politely said that when we return, it would be for the regular menu. No more than five minutes later, the elderly couple behind us repeated this to their waitress. They obviously weren’t impressed either.

All in all, I feel like Heritage Court had a lot of potential as during the evening Stud and I were observing other tables for their regular menu and everything looked quite nice. I think they may have been trying to attract a wider range of clients with their offer but think it would have been better suited to their popular signature dishes rather than trying to anglicise their menu.

Stud has said we won’t be back but I wouldn’t mind giving them another shot.

16 Responses to Heritage Court – Hurstville

1. OohLookBel on September 21, 2011 at 10:58 am

I’ve always wondered about this place (not quite Asian, not quite Anglo). Interesting mix of food, at least the deal was a good one.

2. Miss Piggy on September 21, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I’m with you…TV in a restaurant is a big no-no!

3. Vivian - vxdollface on September 21, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I think a TV in a restaurant is typical for a Hong Kong style restaurant cause they seem to have them plastered on the wall in most if not all Hong Kong & Chinese restaurants. My uncle used to own Heritage Court many many years ago before it turned into a fusion of Asian&Western dining, shame about the food though but petit mignon looks good!

4. sugarpuffi on September 21, 2011 at 4:11 pm

ohh i have sooo many of these vouchers unused! i should get a move on. this looks like a good deal 😀

5. Dolly on September 21, 2011 at 7:23 pm

yea tv makes the resturant loses it class big time..

mmh garlic bread as a dipper yum.. when i make pumpjun soup im sick so no garlic bread for me 🙁

6. JasmyneTea on September 21, 2011 at 9:36 pm

Bit of a hit and miss it seems. I would be really annoyed if you received a panna cotta like that when you had paid full price for it though!

7. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 21, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Yes it sounds like they got some tings right but some things not very right. I always find panna cotta can be a real let down. It seems quite hard for some places to do although it seems simple enough.

8. Hannah on September 22, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Oh, boo! Boo boo boo! Kraft mayo and a lacklustre dessert? I say nay! 😛

9. Von on September 22, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I love the look of the restaurant from the outside 😉 It looks very interesting- though not very Asian? The scallops and mayo sound a little strange though i can sorta imagine what it taste like….Shame about the panna cotta! I hate it when desserts are a let down because it’s the last thing you eat 🙁

10. Jennifer (Delicieux) on September 23, 2011 at 8:10 am

Sounds like a very hit and miss night. I always wonder about these deal websites and what the restaurants are actually like. It’s disappointing when you pay good money for food that isn’t as good as what you cook at home.

11. Joanne on September 23, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Oh no! I’m so sorry this meal wasn’t up to par….I hate it when restaurant food is just a waste of calories especially when it sounds like it has such potential!

12. ChopinandMysaucean on September 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m not a fan of dining vouchers although we had a pretty good one for Bar H at Surry Hlls tonight. I totally dislike having to battle traffic to be at a restaurant at 6pm and be out by 8pm let alone not getting what I really want to eat! I would have to agree with Stud on this one though. The platter is a strange way to present two mains and I wonder if the chips are soggy since the fish acts like a steam trap.

13. john@heneedsfood on September 25, 2011 at 7:11 am

Now here’s a blast from the past. I remember eating at this place about 10 years ago. Musn’t have bern too crash hot otherwise I would have returned

14. Mary@ohmykitchenaid on October 20, 2011 at 2:48 pm

ooh! I’ve been there.. YEARS AGO.. and found it to be quite pleasant. Shame about it now.

15. joey@FoodiePop on November 17, 2011 at 9:46 am

I didn’t know about this place and I shop at Hurstville quite often. Interesting place.

16. Randa Brussel on March 11, 2012 at 11:05 pm

buddy, sweet web page for this subject. There are lots of opinions- great job.