Lamb kofta tagine

September 15, 2011

For my birthday this year, my parents bought me a grinder attachment for our KitchenAid. I had visions of making the perfect sausage and amazing meatballs or even just my own mince for a fab bolognese.

Here it is, September, and I have used my grinder attachment for the first time. After a mini hiccup with too much fat left on the meat, we are now the best of friends and will totally be doing everything together from here on in!

I decided that the day I used my grinder, it would be for this recipe and hence killing two birds with one stone, and using my new tagine at the same time.

So on this fateful Sunday, it was a day of firsts. A first for grinding, a first for tagining, first time using ras el hanout and it was also the first time I had eaten bread…..in what felt like forever!

I will say that if you are grinding with a kitchenaid, that there’s a reason they ask for the meat to be low fat. I deliberately left a little fat on mine but it actually got tangled in the blades so after having to pick it out all stringy-like, I left it for the dog. I also ground on the normal plate first and then ground half of the mixture again through the finer plate.

Ras el-hanout is a Moroccan spice mixture containing many spices, often up to 20 individual spices. The most common mixtures are a base of nutmeg, black pepper, cinnamon, turmeric, sea salt, cardamom, mace, all spice, aniseed, cayenne, caraway and saffron. Available pre-made from specialty stores however it can be pretty expensive, I bought mine from Oriental & Continental Foods in Artarmon for a fraction of the cost that you would pay in a deli.

Adapted from KitchenAid

600g diced lean lamb
1 onion, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic
1 cup parsley leaves
½  cup coriander leaves
1 wedge preserved lemon, washed and pith removed
1 tsp ras el hanout
freshly ground salt and black peppercorns, to taste
1 tbsp olive oil
2 x 400g can diced tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sweet paprika
Pinch ground ginger
4 large eggs
Warm caramelised onion sourdough (from Woollies or Coles) to serve

Attach the regular grinding plate to the food grinder and attach to the stand mixer. Position bowl under grinder. Turn the mixer to speed 6 and add ½ of the lamb into the hopper, pushing down. Add the onion, garlic, parsley, coriander and preserved lemon, followed by the remaining meat (adding a little of the meat last, ensures all the herbs and lemon have been pushed through the grinder).

Attach the fine plate to the machine and place half of the mixture back through the hopper.

Attach flat beater and mixing bowl to stand mixer. Add the ras el-hanout to the mixture and season with salt and pepper.

Turn to Speed 4 and mix for 2-3 minutes or until mixture is well combined and sticky. Roll mixture into small meatballs with wet hands.

Heat the oil in tagine and brown kofta’s in batches.

Return all koftas to the pan and add the tomatoes and spices. Stir lightly and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until cooked, partially covered with a lid.

Remove lid and continue cooking until thickened slightly.

Create four divots in mixture and carefully break in the eggs amongst the kofta’s, simmering covered until the eggs are just firm.

Serve with warm caramelised onion sourdough.

18 Responses to Lamb kofta tagine

1. OohLookBel on September 15, 2011 at 9:38 pm

That lamb looks amazingly good, especially with the eggs. Your grinder attachment will be getting a workout now 😉

2. Vivian - vxdollface on September 15, 2011 at 9:58 pm

oooh these balls look delicious, love that you served it with the runny yolks!

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 16, 2011 at 6:44 pm

That looks so great especially with the eggs in it! I wondered whether I should get the meat grinder attachment (and then the sausage stuffer) 😛

4. Joanne on September 16, 2011 at 10:19 pm

It always takes me FOREVER to use new kitchen appliances as well! It’s like I’m scared of them or something…weird.

this tagine looks delicious and you really did well with those kofta!

5. Dolly on September 16, 2011 at 11:42 pm

holey moley.. if i could cook that my bf would love me.

ive never cooked with lamb.. im so scared to try.. as im not an avid lamb eater.. opposed to my bf.

MUST i must confess those kofta look dam awesome.. wonder if i could sub it and use beed.. omg… i want a tagine now!!

6. Tobias @ T and Tea Cake on September 17, 2011 at 6:19 am

I don’t know but for some reasons I am a little scared of mincer. Maybe it’s the thought of getting a finger stuck in there… uhhh

Anyway, great introduction for a comment, right? I love kofta but have never eaten them as a tagine. More like street food from a vendor. 😉 All those spices! I feel warm inside already. Great!

Cheers,
    Tobias

7. Hannah on September 17, 2011 at 3:16 pm

I think I should consider getting my dad this for Christmas, now that he’s retired! He could become the sausage king of Canberra… so long as he steals your recipes, of course. 😛

8. Vivienne on September 18, 2011 at 3:44 pm

wow so many firsts!! 😀 this tagine looks sooooo good reminds me of kazbah in balmain!
    its great that u can now make your own mince…much healthier than getting them from the shops! i want to get an icecream attachment..and mb a grater so i hate grating veges by hand!

9. JasmyneTea on September 18, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I keep dropping hints for friends and family to get me a kitchen aid for my bday or christmas, but it has yet to appear – I might have to promise them to make this dish if they do get me one 🙂

10. Anna@ The Littlest Anchovy on September 19, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Oh I gotta get me a kitchenaid! this looks amazing. i love the shot of the oozing yolk, now I am hungry!its my first time here and I love your blog 🙂

11. mademoiselle délicieuse on September 19, 2011 at 2:05 pm

This looks so good! Especially those just done, silky-looking eggs. I would happily eat this for any meal of the day.

I’m surprised that the KitchenAid grinder attachment requires lean meant, you know what with people and recipes always saying that you need a healthy amount of fat for the mince to bind etc etc. A bonus that the end result is healthy too!

12. Trisha on September 19, 2011 at 10:24 pm

This reminds me of my favourite shushouka breakfast at Cafe Shenkin at Erskineville. Love love LOVE it!

13. blackbookkitchendiaries on September 20, 2011 at 3:13 am

this looks brilliant! i love the touch of egg in this dish…yum!!

14. Joanna @ Chic&Gorgeous Treats on September 20, 2011 at 10:42 am

Oh my! Nic, your lamb kofta is just delish..All I can do is envision myself dipping bread into it and licking every single drop of gravy. Yummmmmmmm ;). Hugs, Jo

15. muppy on September 21, 2011 at 7:35 am

Wow you’ve got some awesome recipes here! this sounds so yum 🙂

16. Tanantha on September 30, 2011 at 6:27 am

Look at those runny eggs! I love eating runny eggs with everything especially with these kind of meatballs.

17. Claire @ Claire K Creations on October 5, 2011 at 3:13 pm

That looks fabulous. I have the grinder as well and hate to admit that I haven’t used it to its full advantage. I’m still yet to make sausages too but soon I’ll get my act together!

18. […] and there, I mostly use lemons in my everyday savoury cooking. Preserved lemons are also great in savoury dishes so I’m quite excited about this months Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – […]