Granola a La Studd

September 5, 2011

In an attempt to eat healthier, I went on the lookout for a low calorie granola recipe. There were bits of some I liked but then also bits I didn’t so after searching through a lot of recipes, I decided to come up with one of my own. A mixture of things I would like to see added to my granola, and also things I just happened to have in the cupboard at the time. I call it, Granola a La Studd! Original, catchy, I like it.

2 cups oats (not instant)
¼ cup brown sugar
1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup honey
1/3 cup chia seeds
½ cup slivered almonds
¼ cup coconut
¼ cup dried apricots
1 tsp vanilla essence
1tbs olive oil

Preheat oven to 180°. Place brown sugar, apple juice and honey in a saucepan and heat on medium until combined.

Once combined, take off the heat and stir in vanilla and oil. Taste and see if you would like it sweeter, if so, melt in some more honey or even some maple syrup!

Place oats, chia, almonds and coconut in a large bowl and mix until combined. Make a well in the centre and pour in the liquid mixture.

Mix together until just combined – be careful not to overwork as you want it to clump.

Line a baking tray with non-stick paper, spread the mixture on top and flatten with a spatula.

Bake in the oven until the mixture starts to brown, checking every now and then so the mixture doesn’t burn. This should take around 30 mins. You will need to keep an eye on it though.

Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before adding the apricots. Once completely cool, place in an airtight container until you’re ready to use it.

21 Responses to Granola a La Studd

1. sugarpuffi on September 6, 2011 at 11:41 am

healthy AND delicious!

2. Dolly on September 6, 2011 at 12:40 pm

mnhhh.. i love granola.. i relgiously eat yogurt granola and museli each day 🙂

3. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on September 6, 2011 at 4:56 pm

haha that is the funniest name for a granola. I love the stuff and make something similar using a Nigella recipe. It’s so good, especially late at night! 🙂

4. InTolerantChef on September 6, 2011 at 7:19 pm

This does look yummy! Nice and crispy too. I like to eat my granola with a shot of coffee in the morning instead of plain milk, a great way to wake up!

5. Von on September 6, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Love the name 😉 Ive never had granola before, but this looks really tasty- I love everything that’s in it! There are some (rare) times when I’m inspired to cook healthier, but usually, my attempts don’t end up quite as great as this 😀

6. Dumpling Girl on September 6, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I had no idea that granola was that straight forward to make. Hehe, I need to eat healthier too, will whip up a batch soon, it looks really good.

7. JasmyneTea on September 6, 2011 at 11:50 pm

I haven’t really had a granola that I liked, but now I think I’ll try your recipe and just chuck in my favourite things!

8. Sara (Belly Rumbles) on September 7, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Love the name, Granola a La Studd, very catchy indeed.

9. Joanne on September 7, 2011 at 10:10 pm

This is the perfect use for the chia seeds that I have sitting here but that I don’t know what to do with!

10. msihua on September 7, 2011 at 11:14 pm

I’m not really a fan of granola but this looks really quite like something I would snack on!

11. Keely aka The Richest Girl in Bondi on September 8, 2011 at 1:56 pm

I’ve not really had a lot of granola in my time – but love everything that you’ve put into this. What do you serve it/eat it with?

12. Dining with a Stud on September 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Keely you can really have it however you like. With either milk or yoghurt for breakfast, to snack on after (or before ;)) dinner, served with fruit as a deconstructed crumble. Its endless really

13. Anna Johnston on September 8, 2011 at 6:38 pm

So yummy. I’m on the look out for eat heathy recipes, so thank you. 🙂 Love what you can do with granola, thanks for sharing sweets.

14. catty on September 8, 2011 at 7:28 pm

Ooooh apple juice! That sounds divine! I love granola and should probably make my own!

15. Jennifer (Delicieux) on September 9, 2011 at 7:41 pm

Love the name!!! It looks delicious too!!

Home made granola is always so much better than the bought stuff, and as you say you can customise it.

16. Iron Chef Shellie on September 12, 2011 at 9:51 am

Ah yes, I’ve been trying to eat “healthier” my whole life 😛 doesn’t mean I won’t be trying Nigella’s chocolate granola 😛 I really must try making granola though, looks like a healthy snack 🙂

17. Hannah on September 14, 2011 at 2:32 pm

Oh-ho, yes! I went through a massive granola-making phase last year but haven’t much this year. I made one recently that was ery healthy, and also utterly flavourless. Yours looks far better!

18. Chanel on September 15, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Ooh I love the inclusion of chia seeds! I’ve got a few of those ingredients at home so I should make some granola, as I’m also eating healthier… 😀

19. betty on October 24, 2011 at 1:00 pm

this looks delicious i can just imagine the crunch yum

20. Alana on November 1, 2011 at 12:55 pm

i’ve never made granola from scratch before despite it being one of my favourite breakfast foods so this post is very inspiring. it looks great!

21. Robbie Shannon on December 8, 2011 at 4:05 pm

It’s so good, especially late at night! This does look yummy! That sounds divine!