Frozen vanilla yoghurt

July 4, 2011

I’m a procrastinator. Stud will attest to this. It’s not even my (or his) opinion. It’s a full blown, honest fact! I put off cleaning, important duties (you know, bills, etc), making things (well in honesty, I don’t put them off, it’s more bursts really. So I do, do it, but only when I am in the mood and then can go months before finishing it hence we have lots of little unfinished crafty bollocks all over the house), you know, anything that isn’t as fun as cooking and I can think of a good reason.

It’s pretty much the same with this post.

At the end of summer, (in an attempt to slim down to fit in to a wedding dress) I wanted to make an alternative to ice cream that would keep us full and satisfied but also tasted great. So I went searching for a great frozen yoghurt recipe and came across 101 Cookbooks. I tweaked it slightly (off course) and we were soon enjoying beautifully frozen yoghurt packed with flavour.

I know it’s the middle of winter now but in my opinion, if the heater is on inside, it’s warm enough for a cold dessert. Also great for those with a sore throat *cough cough* 🙂

Adapted from 101 Cookbooks

3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
3/4 cup (150g) sugar
2 teaspoon vanilla bean paste

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.

Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. Then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.

7 Responses to Frozen vanilla yoghurt

1. Adrian (Food Rehab) on July 4, 2011 at 9:27 pm

I’m with you. NO matter what the weather, there’s always room for dessert at the table. This looks great, Yuuurm!

2. Joanne on July 5, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Well, it’s summer here so to me this sounds perfect! Better late than never!

3. Helen (grabyourfork) on July 6, 2011 at 2:49 pm

It’s never a bad time for frozen yoghurt I Say! I will have to give this a go – I’m always making homemade yoghurt at home. Will have to get organised and start draining some soon!

4. Anna Johnston on July 6, 2011 at 3:01 pm

You know, I think Im a bit like you, I take forever to get around to doing the things like paying bills and going to the gym was something I talked about for 18 months. Sigh.
    But eating Frozen Yogurt, thats something I could do any ol time without even thinking about it. Yum, YUM! Perfect for that winter sore throat. LOL.

5. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on July 7, 2011 at 2:20 pm

That looks excellent! When I was a kid I used to stick pots of yogurt in the freezer and always wonder why they never turned out like proper frozen yogurt. Clearly I was not doing it correctly! 😛

6. sugarpuffi on July 8, 2011 at 11:05 am

whoa frozen yoghurt! that looks awesome!

7. Maria @ Scandifoodie on July 10, 2011 at 4:27 am

I love making frozen yoghurt like this, it so simple and delicious!